Using C for string search etc

brian

I have a set of huge files on which I am doing some typical search and
replace operations, with the help of sed/awk scripts.

However for various reasons I have to write C programs instead of
sed/awk scripts. If someone has experience with C programming with
string searches, replace etc please let me know, web links, pointers
etc.

Christopher Benson-Manica

brian said:
However for various reasons I have to write C programs instead of
sed/awk scripts. If someone has experience with C programming with
string searches, replace etc please let me know, web links, pointers
etc.

The functions declared in <string.h> are useful for searching strings
- consult your friendly documentation for more details.

Dan Pop

In said:
The functions declared in <string.h> are useful for searching strings
- consult your friendly documentation for more details.

They are useless when the target string is specified as a regular
expression.

Dan

Joe Wright

brian said:
I have a set of huge files on which I am doing some typical search and
replace operations, with the help of sed/awk scripts.

However for various reasons I have to write C programs instead of
sed/awk scripts. If someone has experience with C programming with
string searches, replace etc please let me know, web links, pointers
etc.

Hi Brian. This is a little vague. If sed/awk works, what might be some
of the various reasons you must write a new program from scratch? Might
perl be better than sed/awk for your purposes?