Using Contribute to create a site

Greg

Hi Folks,

I'm a programmer (not web or html, however).

I've been asked to create a relatively simple website. My skills in
html aren't advanced and I don't really wish to advance them, and I
don't have much experience. I can program in php but avoid it due to
the possibility of introducing security isssues from a lack of
(tedious) study (and because I don't like php).

I am hoping that Macromedia contribute is slick enough to help me put
together a simple website. However, the name doesn't give me
confidence, and the reviews suggest its for updating only; something
meatier is needed for initial creation.

Is that right? What I've briefly played with seemed to be able to
create.

Perhaps the difference is that it is much more time-consuming to use
something like "Contribute" to create, than something like dreamweaver.

Any comments from the pros.

Where might I find "Contribute" to be a pain? Is it really only the
kinds of fancy things that simple business sites don't bother with
anyway?

Greg

Ps don't bother looking at my site. I ruined it by trying out
Mozzilla's editor, and haven't bothered to do anything about it.

mbstevens

Greg said:
I can program in php but avoid it due to
the possibility of introducing security isssues from a lack of
(tedious) study (and because I don't like php).

You should at least consider the other commonly available
alternative, Perl. A couple of hours searching and reading about
detainting data from visitors should take care of the security issues.
The cgi.pm module is also a great help with that problem. It's all
easy enough.

If you host supports Python (not as common), that's a great alternative,
too.