Using cookies & session vars in asp

wozza

Hi

I'm involved in quite a large project which has a slightly unusual
form of login (at least I think it's unusual!). I'm creating a site in
ASP (actually Chilisoft ASP) where access to all pages has to be
secured via login. The odd bit is that while the login page will be on
this site, the login process itself will be carried out on a
completely separate domain - this is the client's requirement so I
have no choice.

On login, the user will be assigned a 24 hour cookie by this 2nd
domain and then be passed back to the site I'm involved with. My site
then needs to assign a similar cookie (I'm assming that I won't be
able to read the other domain's cookie) and allow access to the site
for 24 hours.

I'm wondering if it's most efficient to assign a session variable to
indicate the user is logged in once my cookie has been generated
(rather than have every page check for a cookie again) and on
subsequent sessions during the 24 hour period to 1st check for session
var, then the cookie and then, if cookie exists, to assign the session
variable again.

I'm a bit stumped here so any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks
Warren

Ray at

wozza said:
Hi

I'm involved in quite a large project which has a slightly unusual
form of login (at least I think it's unusual!). I'm creating a site in
ASP (actually Chilisoft ASP) where access to all pages has to be
secured via login. The odd bit is that while the login page will be on
this site, the login process itself will be carried out on a
completely separate domain - this is the client's requirement so I
have no choice.

Damn that client!

On login, the user will be assigned a 24 hour cookie by this 2nd
domain and then be passed back to the site I'm involved with. My site
then needs to assign a similar cookie (I'm assming that I won't be
able to read the other domain's cookie) and allow access to the site
for 24 hours.

I'm wondering if it's most efficient to assign a session variable to
indicate the user is logged in once my cookie has been generated
(rather than have every page check for a cookie again) and on
subsequent sessions during the 24 hour period to 1st check for session
var, then the cookie and then, if cookie exists, to assign the session
variable again.

Are the sites on the same server?

Ray at work

Ray at

A better question for me to ask would be: Do these sites sit on servers
that would have access to a common datasource, like a SQL Server or
something?

Ray at work