using "copy Project wizard" creates references to non-existant directories

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Larry, May 12, 2004.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    I've developed a set of web forms within a project, on of which is in a
    folder within the project and has SSL enabled on it. I compile it and
    everything works great and wonderful. Then I use the copy project wizard
    from dot net VS to copy the app from my development site to a production
    site and now I get a

    "System.Web.HttpException: Access denied to
    'D:\wwwroot\Development\global.asax'. Failed to start monitoring file
    changes."

    error. Strange thing is that this reference is back to by development site
    and is not part of the production site. It only occurs when I try to load
    the web form from the directory with SSL enabled. I figured out a work
    around but it doesn't seem right to me. What I had to do to get the app to
    work (in the production site) was to create a virtual directory under the
    development site that points back to the correct production directory (where
    the correct global.asx lives). While this workaround has got my client off
    my back; I'm not very comfortable with it as I will want to change or remove
    my development site and can't with this reference to it from the production
    site.

    How do I find where in the config/app files this reference is being set and
    how would I go about changing it? I really don't want to have to have source
    and development files being part of the production site.

    -Larry

    Larry, May 12, 2004