Using CORBA in Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by aurelianito, May 22, 2006.

  1. aurelianito

    aurelianito Guest

    Hi!

    As part of my job I'm being forced to maintain Corba based software. In
    order to do it, I thought that I can test the implementations using
    ruby and also generate mock services, based on an IDL. I know that Drb
    or SOAP is much nicer, but I can't choose.

    I've searched at the RAA archive, rubyforge and google, and the only
    thing that I've found is: http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/rinn/.

    This project latest release is from 2001, so I'm not sure if it's still
    working, and if there are any stopping bugs in there.

    What is your experience developing and accessing CORBA services in
    Ruby?
    Do you use the rinn library?
    Can you recommend anything else? (if you recommend to change my job,
    please offer a new one ;)).

    Thank's and best regards,
    Aureliano.

    aurelianito, May 22, 2006

  2. aurelianito

    gregarican Guest

    When I took a look-see that's all I found as well. If Rubyforge, the
    RAA, and Google come up with just RINN then likely that's all that's
    available for CORBA in Ruby. Unless there's some project in the works
    that's not been publically announced and released.

    Here's an posting on the RINN project page regarding the inactive
    status --> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=364480.
    Since the project is open source if you are somewhat familiar with Ruby
    and CORBA perhaps you can pick things up :)

    gregarican, May 22, 2006

  3. aurelianito

    baalbek Guest

    I've had the same problem once, and basically had to decide between:

    * implementing the CORBA objects/servants in C++ modules, imported in
    Ruby with Swig

    * go with Python and use the Omniorb (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/)
    CORBA bindings for Python.

    I went with Python/Omniorb, but this is probably not the answer you were
    looking for:)

    Since you are doing client side CORBA only (and not implementing a
    server) with Ruby, I guess it would not be too difficult to implement
    your own Ruby module in C++ that forwards the Ruby calls to the CORBA
    server. With Swig it should be easy to do this.

    And omniorb is very good, both for C++ and Python.

    Regards,
    Baalbek

    baalbek, May 24, 2006