using Crypt::Lite

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ccc31807, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. ccc31807

    ccc31807 Guest

    This might be a question no one knows the answer to.

    We started using Crypt::Lite to encrypt the SSNs of files for
    temporary storage, 7 or 8 days at the most. The files are CSV files
    with lines like this:

    IDENTIFIER,Bush,George,Walker,999887777,other,data,here

    The output is like this for each line:

    IDENTIFIER,Bush,George,Walker,WoPsW7/oWIDsXYPqWoTSCNTvX4bjWY/tX4e
    +DNDiWIPjCNDuWNK+DoO4VdPjCdQ=,other,data,here

    So far the encryption string has never contained a comma. If it did,
    it would really screw things up, as this is run as an automated
    process and we do not have human eyes checking the format of the
    decrypted files. (A comma would right shift all remaining fields.)

    !. Does Crypt::Lite ever use a comma as an encryption character?
    2. If so, can you tell it NOT to use a comma?

    Thanks, CC.
    ccc31807, Feb 27, 2008

  2. ccc31807

    smallpond Guest

    On Feb 27, 8:59 am, ccc31807 <> wrote:
    > This might be a question no one knows the answer to.
    >
    > We started using Crypt::Lite to encrypt the SSNs of files for
    > temporary storage, 7 or 8 days at the most. The files are CSV files
    > with lines like this:
    >
    > IDENTIFIER,Bush,George,Walker,999887777,other,data,here
    >
    > The output is like this for each line:
    >
    > IDENTIFIER,Bush,George,Walker,WoPsW7/oWIDsXYPqWoTSCNTvX4bjWY/tX4e
    > +DNDiWIPjCNDuWNK+DoO4VdPjCdQ=,other,data,here
    >
    > So far the encryption string has never contained a comma. If it did,
    > it would really screw things up, as this is run as an automated
    > process and we do not have human eyes checking the format of the
    > decrypted files. (A comma would right shift all remaining fields.)
    >
    > !. Does Crypt::Lite ever use a comma as an encryption character?
    > 2. If so, can you tell it NOT to use a comma?
    >
    > Thanks, CC.

    It uses MIME::Base64 in the encoding so you will only get
    [A-Za-z0-9+/=]. You can also specify using hex8,
    smallpond, Feb 27, 2008

  3. ccc31807

    ccc31807 Guest

    ccc31807, Feb 27, 2008