using custom database for membership and rolls ?

Sunfire

I need to use a custom database for all of the user membership and rolls.
How do you do this?

darrel

I need to use a custom database for all of the user membership and rolls.
How do you do this?

I'm not a programmer, per se, in that I have never gotten a formal computer
science degree (I have an art degree).

However, over the past several years, I've become fairly proficient at
ASP.net 1.1 development. I'm at the point where I know and understand enough
to really know and understand the areas that I truly don't get or am not
doing right (I miss the days were I was naive enough to not realize how bad
my code was. ;o)

Recently, I tried taking a break from MOSS (shudder) and get up to speed on
ASP.net 2.0

I immediately got completley and utterly stuck on the membership provider
thing.

All the tutorials examples I see are "click, click, click, done! SEE HOW
EASY THAT IS!"

But I have no clue how to get it to work.

There's now a app_data folder in my application, but that's not where the
membership table is made. Apparently there's a DB somewhere on my machine
that has this info. No idea where. It didn't update my web.config at all so
I could figure it out. even then, I still get useless errors in the
Application Configuration wizard.

I can't tell if this is a failing of Visual Studio, ASP.net 2.0, or SQL
Express. I have a hunch it's a bit of each with a lack of documentation for
those not fully 'in the know' of how the internals work.

So, that's a really long post that doesn't help you in any way, Sunfire. I
just wanted to sympathize. ;o)

(For the record, there are some fine folks in here that have helped try to
explain it to me and I really appreciate it. I hope to be able to focus on
this some long weekend and finally plow through it.)

-Darrel

sloan

You have to write a Custom Membership Provider, which inherits from a
specific Abstract class.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=custom+membership+provider

It is con fusing sometimes, because sometimes people are talking about the
specific concrete membership provider .... (SqlMembershipProvider) (the out
of the box solution)
and sometimes they are talking about the abstract class.

If you have a custom database, you need to write a custom membership
provider which interacts with that database.

Follow the google search, and you'll start to see it.

darrel

If you have a custom database, you need to write a custom membership
provider which interacts with that database.

Ah! I might be beginning to see the light!

Is it fair to say the 'out of the box' is really only suitable for SQL
Express?

If one is writing their own custom mebership provider, does one still need
to run the command-line tool to 'setup' their custom database?

Are there any articles/tutorials that focus more on the 'write your own'
rather than the 'click click wizard' technique?

-Darrel

sloan

"out of the box" will run on Express, 2005 "normal" editions, and even 2000.
Go here:
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=MembershipProvider+"Sql+Server+2000"

and you'll see how an alternate, but still "out of the box" system can work.
This is using the SqlMembershipProvider.

No, if you have a custom database...and you've written a custom membership
provider, you don't need any setup tool.

However, you need to configure your config file to actually use the custome
membership provider you have.

,,,,,,

Here is a good learning exercise:
http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=404
and it will take you to
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/Aa336558.aspx Sample Access
Providers

This is how to use Access (Jet database) for membership.

Obviously, you're probably not going to actually use Access, but if you get
the Access thing working, and the CustomMembershipProvider(viaAccess)
working, you will begin to understand how it all fits.

There aren't alot of shortcuts. You actually gotta understand how an
alternative one works, then you can start to code your own.

Work thru the Access, and it'll start to make sense.

You got the tools and links now, now you gotta make the attempt.