    compared to what we are doing?

    We're looking at it again to get the features of transactions out of it, but
    are not sure if they can handle that much data very well?

    Brent, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Holy cow!! Why would you bring back that much data? First thing I would
    do, regardless of what you are trying to do, is find a way to greatly limit
    that number of records you are returning somehow. Do your records have a
    unique key of some sort? And are they ordered somehow, maybe by the unique
    key (that would be prefered)?

    DataReaders will perform faster than datasets. DataSets are disconnected
    from the database and must store all their information in memory.
    DataReaders remain connected to the database and pull records from the
    database as you request them (i.e. reader.Read()).

    HTH,

    Raymond Lewallen

    Raymond Lewallen, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Brent

    Cor Guest

    Hi Raymond,

    I agree completly with the first part of your message. With the second part
    I do not (completly).

    > Holy cow!! Why would you bring back that much data? First thing I would
    > do, regardless of what you are trying to do, is find a way to greatly

    limit
    > that number of records you are returning somehow. Do your records have a
    > unique key of some sort? And are they ordered somehow, maybe by the

    unique
    > key (that would be prefered)?

    > DataReaders will perform faster than datasets. DataSets are disconnected
    > from the database and must store all their information in memory.
    > DataReaders remain connected to the database and pull records from the
    > database as you request them (i.e. reader.Read()).

    It is not said that DataReaders perform faster than using the dataadapter
    which uses also the datareader.

    Main thing is that it fixes very efficient the data in memory while with a
    datareader you need to do that item by item.

    The amount of data with a right selection, as you stated before, can often
    be that few, that it is probably often almost the same amount of bytes as
    the code needed to retrieve it using a datareader, so that can not be a
    point. (and in a modern computer absolute not relevant).

    Moreover when readed it the dataset becomes very handy to handle.

    Just my thought to give the OP another opinion, while I can think about
    situations where your statement is right.

    Cor

    Cor, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Brent,

    I posted arguments and sample code on DataSet vs DataReader on a response to
    Cor on this post dated 4/7/2004 08:24 AM CST. Be sure and read that and it
    my help further clarify what I failed to completely clarify in my initial
    response post yesterday.

    Raymond Lewallen

    Raymond Lewallen, Apr 7, 2004