Using DBD::pNET or DBD::Proxy with DBD::Oracle

Jim Cochrane

(I asked this on comp.lang.perl.modules yesterday and got one helpful
response. Thought I'd try here, too.)

I may need to connect to an Oracle server from a Perl client on a
remote machine without using DBD::Oracle on the client (because the
"decision-makers" won't install Oracle client libraries on the client
machine). Is anyone here familiar enough with DBD::pNET and pNETagent or
DBD::proxy to know if they will work well (or at all) with DBD::Oracle on
the server? I did a bit of google searching for 'DBD::pNET DBD::Oracle'
and 'pNETagent DBD::Oracle', etc. but did not succeed in finding an
answer to my question.

DBD::proxy appears to be written by the same person as DBD::pNET.
Is DBD::proxy intended to 'obsolete' DBD::pNET? Anyone know if it
supports transactions? (I was also pointed to DBD::Gofer, but it does
not support transactions.) [Update: according to:
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.dbi.dev/2007/03/msg4909.html
DBD::proxy supports transactions.]

Are there any other modules that provide this functionality?

Thanks!