Using debug and release bin directories for asp.net project

Guest

Hi,

I would like to keep my release and debug dll's separate in a structure as
follows:

/myapp
global.asax
home.aspx
/bin
/debug
myapp.dll
/release
myapp.dll

If I do this and rebuild my solution, the rebuld works but executing from
the ide results in a failure to load myapp.global because the myapp.dll can
not be found.

It seems that it must be necessary for iis to know for myapp that that it is
running in particular configuration.

Up until now, I've set both configurations to point to /myapp/bin and this
works. However I can some conflicts with the temporary cache which make it
necessary to restart the machine, clear the cache, rebuild before debugging.
A pain.

NG traffic on the topic indicates confusion out in the community regarding
the best practice.

Thanks!

Bruce Barker

asp.net only looks in the bin directory to find code behind dll's

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Viosk,

I think what Bruce has mentioned is right. The ASP.NET application is
different from normal .net application which will only probe private
assemblies in the private "bin" folder. We can not use the <probing>
setting in config file to specify our custom private folders. So we can not
specify multi hierarchical assemblies(except those localized satelitte
assemblies) structure in the asp.net application 's private bin dir ( only
one version of the precompiled assembly can be deployed in it).

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security