Using DIV for nav menus

Bill McCormick

Hello,

I've started using DIV tags instead of TABLE et. al. to build
navigation menu's. I'm using CSS and the pseudo class *hover* to achieve
a flyover effect. The only thing I can't seem to do is make all the menu
selection flyover's the same width. (see http://ace-co.ath.cx/products)

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Klaus Neumann

Bill said:
Hello,

I've started using DIV tags instead of TABLE et. al. to build
navigation menu's. I'm using CSS and the pseudo class *hover* to achieve
a flyover effect. The only thing I can't seem to do is make all the menu
selection flyover's the same width. (see http://ace-co.ath.cx/products)

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Welcome to the club! I fixed it with "white-space: pre;". Maybe not the
most elegant solution, but it worked for me, - until someone comes up
with a better idea, that is.

Best regards,
Klaus

Rincewind

Hello,

I've started using DIV tags instead of TABLE et. al. to build
navigation menu's. I'm using CSS and the pseudo class *hover* to achieve
a flyover effect. The only thing I can't seem to do is make all the menu
selection flyover's the same width. (see http://ace-co.ath.cx/products)

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Take a look at http://www.webreference.com/ some excellent tutorials on
menus using pure css and without tables, also look at
http://www.glish.com/css/ for layout techniques.

And your css isn't valid.

Jonathan N. Little

Bill said:
Hello,

I've started using DIV tags instead of TABLE et. al. to build
navigation menu's. I'm using CSS and the pseudo class *hover* to achieve
a flyover effect. The only thing I can't seem to do is make all the menu
selection flyover's the same width. (see http://ace-co.ath.cx/products)

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Small point, but basically your page text is black or dark so your
background color #003366 makes most of the page unreadable until the
background image paints. I would make it white or light grey. Wasn't a
problem with Gecko but MSIE took a while to load the background image.
Also there always the possibility that the image can get damaged or
inaccessible for some reason on the server. I always test all my pages
with the background images disabled to see if the fallback background
colors allow this page to maintain legibility.