Using domain name question

Tony Cooper

I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
used) until I work it out.

I did sign up with a hosting service: Quickfox.

Right now, I could put up a page using:

http://users.quickfox.org/xxxxx/image.jpg

xxxx = my user name

I would like the site to be:

http://yyyyy.com/image.jpg

yyyyy = my domain name

Can anyone either explain what I need to do or point me to a url that
tells me?

Guest

Tony Cooper said:
I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
used) until I work it out.
[snip]

I would like the site to be:

http://yyyyy.com/image.jpg

yyyyy = my domain name

It takes a few days for all the DNS servers across the net to
synchronize, which is why a domain isn't immediately accessible.

Just wait a few days (trying occasionally) until it resolves.

Jamie

Tony Cooper

Tony Cooper said:
I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
used) until I work it out.
[snip]

I would like the site to be:

http://yyyyy.com/image.jpg

yyyyy = my domain name

It takes a few days for all the DNS servers across the net to
synchronize, which is why a domain isn't immediately accessible.

Just wait a few days (trying occasionally) until it resolves.
Sorry, but I don't know what to "try" or how to go about it. That's
the question.

Augustus

Tony Cooper said:
I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
used) until I work it out.

If you registered your domain name with your hosting company then most
likely you'll just have to wait a couple of days for it to resolve and then
when people enter your domain name they'll end up at your site

If you registered your domain name with somebody other than your hosting
company then you will have to get the addresses for the DNS servers of your
hosting company (should be in the "setup" or "welcome to our service" email)
and then go and log in to the management section for whoever you registered
your domain with and there will be a section for you to enter name server
information

Both your host and the company you registered your domain name with (if
different from your host) should have help files (or atleast be able to
point you to some) for how to set this up

Tony Cooper

If you registered your domain name with your hosting company then most
likely you'll just have to wait a couple of days for it to resolve and then
when people enter your domain name they'll end up at your site

If you registered your domain name with somebody other than your hosting
company then you will have to get the addresses for the DNS servers of your
hosting company (should be in the "setup" or "welcome to our service" email)
and then go and log in to the management section for whoever you registered
your domain with and there will be a section for you to enter name server
information

Both your host and the company you registered your domain name with (if
different from your host) should have help files (or atleast be able to
point you to some) for how to set this up

Thanks.