Using domain name question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tony Cooper, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
    I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
    used) until I work it out.

    I did sign up with a hosting service: Quickfox.

    Right now, I could put up a page using:

    http://users.quickfox.org/xxxxx/image.jpg

    xxxx = my user name

    I would like the site to be:

    http://yyyyy.com/image.jpg

    yyyyy = my domain name

    Can anyone either explain what I need to do or point me to a url that
    tells me?

    Tony Cooper, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Tony Cooper

    Guest

    Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    > I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
    > I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
    > used) until I work it out.

    [snip]

    > I would like the site to be:
    >
    > http://yyyyy.com/image.jpg
    >
    > yyyyy = my domain name

    It takes a few days for all the DNS servers across the net to
    synchronize, which is why a domain isn't immediately accessible.

    Just wait a few days (trying occasionally) until it resolves.

    Jamie

    User Management Solutions Perl / PHP / Java / UNIX

    , Apr 29, 2004

  3. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:53:36 GMT, wrote:

    >Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >> I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
    >> I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
    >> used) until I work it out.

    >[snip]
    >
    >> I would like the site to be:
    >>
    >> http://yyyyy.com/image.jpg
    >>
    >> yyyyy = my domain name

    >It takes a few days for all the DNS servers across the net to
    >synchronize, which is why a domain isn't immediately accessible.
    >
    >Just wait a few days (trying occasionally) until it resolves.

    Sorry, but I don't know what to "try" or how to go about it. That's
    the question.

    Tony Cooper, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Tony Cooper

    Augustus Guest

    "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
    > I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
    > used) until I work it out.

    If you registered your domain name with your hosting company then most
    likely you'll just have to wait a couple of days for it to resolve and then
    when people enter your domain name they'll end up at your site

    If you registered your domain name with somebody other than your hosting
    company then you will have to get the addresses for the DNS servers of your
    hosting company (should be in the "setup" or "welcome to our service" email)
    and then go and log in to the management section for whoever you registered
    your domain with and there will be a section for you to enter name server
    information

    Both your host and the company you registered your domain name with (if
    different from your host) should have help files (or atleast be able to
    point you to some) for how to set this up

    Augustus, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:34:51 -0700, "Augustus"
    <> wrote:

    >"Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
    >> I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
    >> used) until I work it out.

    >If you registered your domain name with your hosting company then most
    >likely you'll just have to wait a couple of days for it to resolve and then
    >when people enter your domain name they'll end up at your site
    >
    >If you registered your domain name with somebody other than your hosting
    >company then you will have to get the addresses for the DNS servers of your
    >hosting company (should be in the "setup" or "welcome to our service" email)
    >and then go and log in to the management section for whoever you registered
    >your domain with and there will be a section for you to enter name server
    >information
    >
    >Both your host and the company you registered your domain name with (if
    >different from your host) should have help files (or atleast be able to
    >point you to some) for how to set this up

    Thanks.

    Tony Cooper, Apr 29, 2004