using dreamweaver : how can I insert HTML file into another html file?

johnsonholding

Ok, here is what I am trying to do:
I have a menu system in a table, as a separate HTML file. I want to
take that HTML file and insert it into another HTML files - the idea
behind this is so I can just change the menu HTML file and it will
change the menu for all of the HTML files, saving me the effort of
going in and copying and pasting the menu system on all pages.
Since I have already built the webpages - I don't really want to
rewrite the book here and use the dreamweaver tree, but hopefuly I can
do it without that work.

David Dorward

I have a menu system in a table

Its rare that a menu should be represented as a table. A list is usually the
right choice of markup.

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/
as a separate HTML file.

A real HTML document? With a doctype and <title>? Extracting the content you
want is probably possible, but rather a waste of resources. It would be
easier to separate out just the fragment of markup that is relevant.
I want to take that HTML file and insert it into another HTML files - the
idea behind this is so I can just change the menu HTML file and it will
change the menu for all of the HTML files, saving me the effort of
going in and copying and pasting the menu system on all pages.

http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

I believe Dreamweaver also has some templating features built in. You're
more likely to find useful help on them in a Dreamweaver specific forum
though.

johnsonholding

That maxdesign page is great, but since I have already built a 40+
website in dreamweaver, I really don't want to go back to a template
(besides finding them confusing as can be). So I don't have the option
- but I do want to make a menu and have the ability to change that menu
so it changes in everyone of my webpages, so I don't know if there is
another solution.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

That maxdesign page is great, but since I have already built a 40+
website in dreamweaver, I really don't want to go back to a template
(besides finding them confusing as can be). So I don't have the option
- but I do want to make a menu and have the ability to change that menu
so it changes in everyone of my webpages, so I don't know if there is
another solution.

Whether you choose to use a "template" or SSI, you will still need to
rewrite/reconfigure all the pages. I think SSI is easier, but that's my
opinion. Then, I don't use Dreamweaver; I use my own server-side page
generation using PHP.

BTW, read this page before replying. Thanks.