    rewrite the book here and use the dreamweaver tree, but hopefuly I can
    do it without that work.

    , Jan 10, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I have a menu system in a table

    Its rare that a menu should be represented as a table. A list is usually the
    right choice of markup.

    http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

    > as a separate HTML file.

    A real HTML document? With a doctype and <title>? Extracting the content you
    want is probably possible, but rather a waste of resources. It would be
    easier to separate out just the fragment of markup that is relevant.

    > I want to take that HTML file and insert it into another HTML files - the
    > idea behind this is so I can just change the menu HTML file and it will
    > change the menu for all of the HTML files, saving me the effort of
    > going in and copying and pasting the menu system on all pages.

    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    I believe Dreamweaver also has some templating features built in. You're
    more likely to find useful help on them in a Dreamweaver specific forum
    though.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jan 10, 2006

    That maxdesign page is great, but since I have already built a 40+
    website in dreamweaver, I really don't want to go back to a template
    (besides finding them confusing as can be). So I don't have the option
    - but I do want to make a menu and have the ability to change that menu
    so it changes in everyone of my webpages, so I don't know if there is
    another solution.

    , Jan 10, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > That maxdesign page is great, but since I have already built a 40+
    > website in dreamweaver, I really don't want to go back to a template
    > (besides finding them confusing as can be). So I don't have the option
    > - but I do want to make a menu and have the ability to change that menu
    > so it changes in everyone of my webpages, so I don't know if there is
    > another solution.

    Whether you choose to use a "template" or SSI, you will still need to
    rewrite/reconfigure all the pages. I think SSI is easier, but that's my
    opinion. Then, I don't use Dreamweaver; I use my own server-side page
    generation using PHP.

    BTW, read this page before replying. Thanks.

    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 10, 2006