    menu.css is already way too big as it is and I will have to reduce it ASAP
    without adding hacks everywhere.

    Thanks for the help.
    Fredo Vincentis, Nov 1, 2004

  2. Fredo Vincentis

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:

    > I have been using em-units for different widths in one of my latest websites
    > (http://203.17.179.45/ - you have to click past the initial CM3 screen)

    ?? i assume you're talking about http://www.ddsn.com/ its the only link
    that went anywhere.

    > and everything worked fine in IE 6 as well as Opera and Mozilla,

    why are you using spacer images and why are you identifying them? do you
    really think people care its a spacer image? why are you using 'button'
    in your alt text? do you think people wont know its a link for some
    reason?

    > until I went and checked it in IE 5.5.

    major changes between IE5, IE5.5 and IE6. live with it.

    --
    t h e o f l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 1, 2004

  3. Fredo Vincentis

    rf Guest

    Fredo Vincentis wrote:

    > Hi guys,

    Er, g'day.

    > I have been using em-units for different widths in one of my latest

    websites
    > (- you have to click past the initial CM3 screen) and

    Making us jump through hoops? The url is:

    http://www.ddsn.com/solutions/cm3/

    > everything worked fine in IE 6 as well as Opera and Mozilla, until I went
    > and checked it in IE 5.5. It seems 5.5 interprets the width of an EM
    > slightly different? If you roll over the menu items you will see what I
    > mean.

    A screenshot would have been usefull for those of us who don't have IE5.5
    immediately to hand.
    You have probably fallen into one of the IE margin/padding bugs.

    > Any idea how to fix this problem without applying hacks?

    A fix for a specific browser *is* a hack.

    >You will notice my
    > menu.css is already way too big as it is and I will have to reduce it ASAP
    > without adding hacks everywhere.

    Which of the three CSS files you have there are you talking about? More
    hoops. Why not give us a link to the CSS file. The one I looked at is about
    10 lines long. Yep, so it the _ie one. These are not big at all. Of course,
    considering you are misusing tables for layout...

    You have far more serious problems than the interpretation of ems by an
    obsolete browser.

    You may want to think about accessibility. The font you have forced upon me
    in IE is so miniscule that I cant even *read* the menu, let alone consider
    if something is wrong with it. And it is in pixels so I (using IE) cannot
    resize it unless I use my accessibility options to ignore your font size.

    Firefox at least allows me to change the font size but then I find that your
    menu is images of text rather than real text, as is all the other navigation
    on that page. There is not alt text either. Here is a screenshot from lynx.
    This is what your blind viewer would hear:

    </quote>
    DDSN Interactive (Web Development, Design, Content Management.. (p1 of
    8)

    Image: Spacer
    [spacer]
    Image: Menu Divider
    [spacer]
    news headlines
    email news archive
    media resources
    subscribe
    Image: Menu Divider
    [spacer]
    projects
    clients
    awards
    testimonials
    downloads
    Image: Menu Divider
    [spacer]
    introduction
    process
    partners
    </quote>

    Don't you *want* me to be able to use this site?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 1, 2004
  4. "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:
    >
    > > I have been using em-units for different widths in one of my latest

    websites
    > > (http://203.17.179.45/ - you have to click past the initial CM3 screen)

    > ?? i assume you're talking about http://www.ddsn.com/ its the only link
    > that went anywhere.

    Wrong link. If you go to http://203.17.179.45/ you need to click "Click
    here to continue." Sorry, there is no way around that screen at the moment -
    it's a license issue.
    Fredo Vincentis, Nov 1, 2004
  5. Fredo Vincentis

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Nov 1, 2004

    http://203.17.179.45/include/menu.css

    > Don't you *want* me to be able to use this site?

    I wish I could, but I've got nothing to do with the site you saw (ddsn).
    That's just the Content Management System I use. :)
    Fredo Vincentis, Nov 1, 2004
  7. Fredo Vincentis

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:

    > I've got nothing to do with the site you saw (ddsn).
    > That's just the Content Management System I use. :)

    a poor tradesman always blames his tools.

    --
    t h e o f l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 1, 2004
  8. Fredo Vincentis

    rf Guest

    Fredo Vincentis

    > > > (- you have to click past the initial CM3 screen) and

    > > Making us jump through hoops? The url is:
    > >
    > > http://www.ddsn.com/solutions/cm3/

    > Wrong link. If you go to http://203.17.179.45/ you need to click "Click
    > here to continue." Sorry, there is no way around that screen at the

    moment -
    > it's a license issue.

    Hello!!! That is what I did. I typed the above IP address into my browser
    and then cliked on that whatever and I saw what I saw. A very inaccessible
    site.

    If you wish to make me jump through any further hoops then you have just
    lost my help.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 1, 2004
  9. "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:
    >
    > > I've got nothing to do with the site you saw (ddsn).
    > > That's just the Content Management System I use. :)

    > a poor tradesman always blames his tools.

    What a stupid comment is that?
    Fredo Vincentis, Nov 1, 2004
  10. "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:
    >
    > >> ?? i assume you're talking about http://www.ddsn.com/ its the only link
    > >> that went anywhere.

    > > Wrong link. If you go to http://203.17.179.45/ you need to click "Click
    > > here to continue."

    > that link takes me to http://203.17.179.45/index.asp - its the same page

    So if you click "Click here to continue" it also takes you to the DDSN
    website? That's weird. It should take you to a website called RMIT English
    Worldwide.
    Fredo Vincentis, Nov 1, 2004
  11. Fredo Vincentis

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:

    >> a poor tradesman always blames his tools.

    > What a stupid comment is that?

    an accurate one.

    now please go away i'm having an argument about "viewport" versus
    "available canvas area"

    --
    t h e o f l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 1, 2004
  12. Fredo Vincentis

    rf Guest

    Fredo Vincentis wrote:

    > > that link takes me to http://203.17.179.45/index.asp - its the same

    page

    > So if you click "Click here to continue" it also takes you to the DDSN
    > website? That's weird. It should take you to a website called RMIT English
    > Worldwide.

    Do you know that you have just wasted a considerable amount of my time and
    also i suspect brucies time?

    <quote>
    I have been using em-units for different widths in one of my latest websites
    (203.17.179.45 - you have to click past the initial CM3 screen) and
    everything worked fine in IE 6 as well as Opera and Mozilla, until I went
    and checked it in IE 5.5. It seems 5.5 interprets the width of an EM
    slightly different? If you roll over the menu items you will see what I
    </quote>

    See that? That is from your original post.

    Where in there do you state that I have to "click here to continue"? No
    bloody where

    I clicked on the big round blot at the top left, the CM3 thing, the bit you
    drew my attention by stating "the initial CM3 screen". Of bloody course I
    clicked the CM3 blot. That is how I got sidetracked.

    brucie probably did something similar (or knowing him something wildly
    different)

    Next time will yo PLEASE be a little bit more specifict and give us an
    ACCURATE url? If you don't then everbody will simply ignore you.

    As to your problem... I've lost interest.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 1, 2004
  13. "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:
    >
    > >> a poor tradesman always blames his tools.

    > > What a stupid comment is that?

    > an accurate one.

    Sorry, MATE, but I don't get you. Are you trying to tell me that you are
    blaming me for the inaccessibility of a website that belongs to a company
    whose Content Management System I happen to use? Get a life!

    > now please go away i'm having an argument about "viewport" versus
    > "available canvas area"

    You seem to be a very important person.
    Fredo Vincentis, Nov 1, 2004
  14. "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    > Fredo Vincentis wrote:

    > Do you know that you have just wasted a considerable amount of my time and
    > also i suspect brucies time?
    >
    > Next time will yo PLEASE be a little bit more specifict and give us an
    > ACCURATE url? If you don't then everbody will simply ignore you.
    >
    > As to your problem... I've lost interest.

    I apologise, but I have got no control over that initial screen. I guess I
    assumed that "Click here to continue" was clear enough, seems I was wrong.
    Fredo Vincentis, Nov 1, 2004
  15. Fredo Vincentis

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html rf said:

    > Where in there do you state that I have to "click here to continue"? No
    > bloody where
    >
    > I clicked on the big round blot at the top left, the CM3 thing, the bit you
    > drew my attention by stating "the initial CM3 screen". Of bloody course I
    > clicked the CM3 blot. That is how I got sidetracked.
    >
    > brucie probably did something similar (or knowing him something wildly
    > different)

    i went to the IP and couldn't see a menu. the little voices then had a
    vote, a fight, a vote, a funeral and another vote and decided to click
    on "click here to continue" which went to the same page and upset
    everyone. especially the needless death.

    to save another possible death and more funeral expenses they decided i
    could have a go and i decided upon http://www.ddsn.com/ on the
    assumption that if the OP is having problems with a menu then they're
    probably still on the front page.

    i was wrong and all the little voices yelled at me and wished i had died
    instead.

    > As to your problem... I've lost interest.

    so have the little voices.

    --
    t h e o f l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 1, 2004
  16. Fredo Vincentis

    rf Guest

    brucie

    > now please go away i'm having an argument about "viewport" versus
    > "available canvas area"

    /pouts
    viewport

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 1, 2004
  17. Fredo Vincentis

    rf Guest

    brucie

    > i was wrong and all the little voices yelled at me and wished i had died
    > instead.

    Lets just get over it and go over to AWW where there is an interesting
    discussion on image stealing. I see the spacegirl is reticant to talk about
    your hole in the ground :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 1, 2004
  18. Fredo Vincentis

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html rf said:

    > /pouts
    > viewport

    don't be like that. you've traumatized me so much you just made me empty
    my ash tray and fill it with beer instead of emptying the dregs out of
    my beer glass and refilling it.

    but i'll drink it anyway.

    --
    t h e o f l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 1, 2004
  19. Fredo Vincentis

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Jan Faerber, Nov 1, 2004
  20. Fredo Vincentis

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 23:31:10 +1100, Fredo Vincentis
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > "brucie"

    > You seem to be a very important person.

    He is and we love him very much.