using em widths in IE 5.5

Fredo Vincentis

Hi guys,

I have been using em-units for different widths in one of my latest websites
(203.17.179.45 - you have to click past the initial CM3 screen) and
everything worked fine in IE 6 as well as Opera and Mozilla, until I went
and checked it in IE 5.5. It seems 5.5 interprets the width of an EM
slightly different? If you roll over the menu items you will see what I
mean.

Any idea how to fix this problem without applying hacks? You will notice my
menu.css is already way too big as it is and I will have to reduce it ASAP
without adding hacks everywhere.

Thanks for the help.

brucie

In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:
I have been using em-units for different widths in one of my latest websites
(http://203.17.179.45/ - you have to click past the initial CM3 screen)

?? i assume you're talking about http://www.ddsn.com/ its the only link
that went anywhere.
and everything worked fine in IE 6 as well as Opera and Mozilla,

why are you using spacer images and why are you identifying them? do you
really think people care its a spacer image? why are you using 'button'
in your alt text? do you think people wont know its a link for some
reason?
until I went and checked it in IE 5.5.

major changes between IE5, IE5.5 and IE6. live with it.

rf

Fredo said:

Er, g'day.
I have been using em-units for different widths in one of my latest websites
(- you have to click past the initial CM3 screen) and

Making us jump through hoops? The url is:

http://www.ddsn.com/solutions/cm3/
everything worked fine in IE 6 as well as Opera and Mozilla, until I went
and checked it in IE 5.5. It seems 5.5 interprets the width of an EM
slightly different? If you roll over the menu items you will see what I
mean.

A screenshot would have been usefull for those of us who don't have IE5.5
immediately to hand.
You have probably fallen into one of the IE margin/padding bugs.
Any idea how to fix this problem without applying hacks?

A fix for a specific browser *is* a hack.
You will notice my
menu.css is already way too big as it is and I will have to reduce it ASAP
without adding hacks everywhere.

Which of the three CSS files you have there are you talking about? More
hoops. Why not give us a link to the CSS file. The one I looked at is about
10 lines long. Yep, so it the _ie one. These are not big at all. Of course,
considering you are misusing tables for layout...

You have far more serious problems than the interpretation of ems by an
obsolete browser.

You may want to think about accessibility. The font you have forced upon me
in IE is so miniscule that I cant even *read* the menu, let alone consider
if something is wrong with it. And it is in pixels so I (using IE) cannot
resize it unless I use my accessibility options to ignore your font size.

Firefox at least allows me to change the font size but then I find that your
menu is images of text rather than real text, as is all the other navigation
on that page. There is not alt text either. Here is a screenshot from lynx.
This is what your blind viewer would hear:

</quote>
DDSN Interactive (Web Development, Design, Content Management.. (p1 of
8)

Image: Spacer
[spacer]
Image: Menu Divider
[spacer]
news headlines
email news archive
media resources
subscribe
Image: Menu Divider
[spacer]
projects
clients
awards
testimonials
downloads
Image: Menu Divider
[spacer]
introduction
process
partners
</quote>

Don't you *want* me to be able to use this site?

Fredo Vincentis

rf said:
Er, g'day.

Making us jump through hoops? The url is:

http://www.ddsn.com/solutions/cm3/

Wrong link. If you go to http://203.17.179.45/ you need to click "Click
here to continue." Sorry, there is no way around that screen at the moment -
it's a license issue.
Which of the three CSS files you have there are you talking about? More
hoops. Why not give us a link to the CSS file. The one I looked at is about
10 lines long. Yep, so it the _ie one. These are not big at all. Of course,
considering you are misusing tables for layout...
http://203.17.179.45/include/menu.css

Don't you *want* me to be able to use this site?

I wish I could, but I've got nothing to do with the site you saw (ddsn).
That's just the Content Management System I use. :)

brucie

In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:
I've got nothing to do with the site you saw (ddsn).
That's just the Content Management System I use. :)

a poor tradesman always blames his tools.

rf

Fredo Vincentis
Wrong link. If you go to http://203.17.179.45/ you need to click "Click
here to continue." Sorry, there is no way around that screen at the moment -
it's a license issue.

Hello!!! That is what I did. I typed the above IP address into my browser
and then cliked on that whatever and I saw what I saw. A very inaccessible
site.

If you wish to make me jump through any further hoops then you have just
lost my help.

brucie

In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:
What a stupid comment is that?

an accurate one.

now please go away i'm having an argument about "viewport" versus
"available canvas area"

rf

Fredo said:
page

So if you click "Click here to continue" it also takes you to the DDSN
website? That's weird. It should take you to a website called RMIT English
Worldwide.

Do you know that you have just wasted a considerable amount of my time and
also i suspect brucies time?

<quote>
I have been using em-units for different widths in one of my latest websites
(203.17.179.45 - you have to click past the initial CM3 screen) and
everything worked fine in IE 6 as well as Opera and Mozilla, until I went
and checked it in IE 5.5. It seems 5.5 interprets the width of an EM
slightly different? If you roll over the menu items you will see what I
</quote>

See that? That is from your original post.

Where in there do you state that I have to "click here to continue"? No
bloody where

I clicked on the big round blot at the top left, the CM3 thing, the bit you
drew my attention by stating "the initial CM3 screen". Of bloody course I
clicked the CM3 blot. That is how I got sidetracked.

brucie probably did something similar (or knowing him something wildly
different)

Next time will yo PLEASE be a little bit more specifict and give us an
ACCURATE url? If you don't then everbody will simply ignore you.

As to your problem... I've lost interest.

Fredo Vincentis

brucie said:
In alt.html Fredo Vincentis said:

an accurate one.

Sorry, MATE, but I don't get you. Are you trying to tell me that you are
blaming me for the inaccessibility of a website that belongs to a company
whose Content Management System I happen to use? Get a life!
now please go away i'm having an argument about "viewport" versus
"available canvas area"

You seem to be a very important person.

Fredo Vincentis

rf said:
Fredo Vincentis wrote:
Do you know that you have just wasted a considerable amount of my time and
also i suspect brucies time?

Next time will yo PLEASE be a little bit more specifict and give us an
ACCURATE url? If you don't then everbody will simply ignore you.

As to your problem... I've lost interest.

I apologise, but I have got no control over that initial screen. I guess I
assumed that "Click here to continue" was clear enough, seems I was wrong.

brucie

In alt.html rf said:
Where in there do you state that I have to "click here to continue"? No
bloody where

I clicked on the big round blot at the top left, the CM3 thing, the bit you
drew my attention by stating "the initial CM3 screen". Of bloody course I
clicked the CM3 blot. That is how I got sidetracked.

brucie probably did something similar (or knowing him something wildly
different)

i went to the IP and couldn't see a menu. the little voices then had a
vote, a fight, a vote, a funeral and another vote and decided to click
on "click here to continue" which went to the same page and upset
everyone. especially the needless death.

to save another possible death and more funeral expenses they decided i
could have a go and i decided upon http://www.ddsn.com/ on the
assumption that if the OP is having problems with a menu then they're
probably still on the front page.

i was wrong and all the little voices yelled at me and wished i had died
instead.
As to your problem... I've lost interest.

so have the little voices.

rf

brucie
i was wrong and all the little voices yelled at me and wished i had died
instead.

Lets just get over it and go over to AWW where there is an interesting
discussion on image stealing. I see the spacegirl is reticant to talk about
your hole in the ground :)

brucie

In alt.html rf said:
/pouts
viewport

don't be like that. you've traumatized me so much you just made me empty
my ash tray and fill it with beer instead of emptying the dregs out of
my beer glass and refilling it.

but i'll drink it anyway.