    Thanks
    --
    pmud
    =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=, Dec 29, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

    Fabio Guest

    pmud wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to use an Excel Sheet in ASP.NET application so that the users can
    > enter (copy, paste ) large number of rows in this Excel Sheet. Also, Whatever
    > the USER ENETRS needs to go to the SQL DATABASE, probably by the click of a
    > button.

    Hey pmud,
    Have a look at this (watch for wrapping)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...dv_wrcore/html/wrconInstallingWhiteRabbit.asp

    You may need Office Tools for Visual Studio - don't know if you can download it.

    --
    Software is like sex: it's better when it's free -- [Linus Torvalds]

    Fabio Marini - A+, RHCT, MCDBA, MCAD.NET
    To reply: news [at] mamakin1976 [dot] plus [dot] com
    Fabio, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Hi Fabio,

    I already have the Visual Studio.Net Enterprise Edition. Thses office tools
    come with it. But i dont think these were installed coz the server already
    had MS Excel installed on it. Are thses tools something different?

    =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Your best bet would be to create a Web service with ASP.NET and have users
    access it using Excel on their desktop.

    How To Use an XML Web Service by Using ASP.NET from an Office VBA Macro in
    Word or Excel

    "This article demonstrates how to use an XML Web service using ASP.NET from
    a Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro in Word or Excel. "

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307033

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnexcl2k2/html/odc_xlws.asp

    http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/Webservices.asp

    Ken
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Dec 29, 2004
  5. I need to code in C#. Could you please tell me some site for C# & not VB?

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=, Dec 29, 2004
  6. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308359/EN-US/

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Dec 29, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

    Fabio Guest

    pmud wrote:
    > I already have the Visual Studio.Net Enterprise Edition. Thses office tools
    > come with it. But i dont think these were installed coz the server already
    > had MS Excel installed on it. Are thses tools something different?

    No, I don't think so. Didn't know they come with the Enterprise version of VS -
    good to know...

    Have fun!

    Fabio, Dec 29, 2004
  8. This 3rd party product provides the functionality you need:
    http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.excel/

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Dec 29, 2004
  9. Hi Ken ,
    I saw the link u gave me for WEb services & C#. But can you please explain a
    little in detail. I basically need the user to see an Excel sheet in an
    application. In this excel sheet the user can copy & paste rows of data &
    when he clicks a buttton, this data FROM Excel SHEET should go to SQL
    DATABASE.

    I searched a lot on net also but only found ways to export data TO excel
    sheet & not how to do it the other way round. I am new to ASP.NET & C# & have
    never used WebService before too. I would be grateful if you could help.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=, Dec 29, 2004
  10. Hi Steve,

    I dont want to purchase Aspose. I have MSDN Universal SUbscription. Earlier,
    in a hurry I wrote that i have the Enterprise edition.But I have MSDN
    Universal.I dont think I want to buy anythg else now. But if you could please
    suggest in what way can I give the users the functionality of copying &
    pasting rows of data so that they can go to the database. By using text boxes
    , the user can enter only one record at a time which can be very time
    consuming. I would be glad if you could help.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=, Dec 29, 2004
  11. Hi Ken,

    As suggested by you I created a Web Service with ASP.NET & an Excel
    Application Which would use this Web SErvice. But I am getting error in the
    WEB SERVICE & the Excel Project too. PLEASE HELP!

    MY CODE IS ::: WEB SERVICE::

    using System;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Diagnostics;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.Services;
    using System.Data.SqlClient;

    namespace SQLQuery
    {
    /// <summary>
    /// Summary description for Service1.
    /// </summary>
    public class Service1: System.Web.Services.WebService
    {
    public Service1()
    {
    //CODEGEN: This call is required by the ASP.NET Web Services Designer
    InitializeComponent();
    }

    private System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection sqlConnection1;
    private System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter sqlDataAdapter1;
    private System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand sqlSelectCommand1;
    private System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand sqlInsertCommand1;
    private System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand sqlUpdateCommand1;
    private System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand sqlDeleteCommand1;
    private System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand sqlCommand1;

    #region Component Designer generated code

    //Required by the Web Services Designer
    private IContainer components = null;

    /// <summary>
    /// </summary>
    private void InitializeComponent()
    {
    this.sqlConnection1 = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection();
    this.sqlDataAdapter1 = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter();
    this.sqlDeleteCommand1 = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand();
    this.sqlInsertCommand1 = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand();
    this.sqlSelectCommand1 = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand();
    this.sqlUpdateCommand1 = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand();
    this.sqlCommand1 = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand();
    //
    // sqlConnection1
    //
    this.sqlConnection1.ConnectionString = "workstation id=TRIOEX;packet
    size=4096;user id=sa;data source=TRIOEX;persist secu" +
    "rity info=True;initial catalog=Sorting;password=icode";
    //
    // sqlDataAdapter1
    //
    this.sqlDataAdapter1.DeleteCommand = this.sqlDeleteCommand1;
    this.sqlDataAdapter1.InsertCommand = this.sqlInsertCommand1;
    this.sqlDataAdapter1.SelectCommand = this.sqlSelectCommand1;
    this.sqlDataAdapter1.TableMappings.AddRange(new
    System.Data.Common.DataTableMapping[] {
    new System.Data.Common.DataTableMapping("Table",
    "Sort", new System.Data.Common.DataColumnMapping[] {
    new
    System.Data.Common.DataColumnMapping("Company", "Company"),
    new
    System.Data.Common.DataColumnMapping("Ceo", "Ceo"),
    new
    System.Data.Common.DataColumnMapping("Month", "Month")})});
    this.sqlDataAdapter1.UpdateCommand = this.sqlUpdateCommand1;
    //
    // sqlDeleteCommand1
    //
    this.sqlDeleteCommand1.CommandText = "DELETE FROM Sort WHERE (Company =
    @Original_Company) AND (Ceo = @Original_Ceo OR " +
    "@Original_Ceo IS NULL AND Ceo IS NULL) AND (Month = @Original_Month OR
    @Original" +
    "_Month IS NULL AND Month IS NULL)";
    this.sqlDeleteCommand1.Connection = this.sqlConnection1;
    this.sqlDeleteCommand1.Parameters.Add(new
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Original_Company",
    System.Data.SqlDbType.VarChar, 10, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input,
    false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Company",
    System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    this.sqlDeleteCommand1.Parameters.Add(new
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Original_Ceo",
    System.Data.SqlDbType.VarChar, 10, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input,
    false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Ceo",
    System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    this.sqlDeleteCommand1.Parameters.Add(new
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Original_Month",
    System.Data.SqlDbType.VarChar, 10, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input,
    false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Month",
    System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    //
    // sqlInsertCommand1
    //
    this.sqlInsertCommand1.CommandText = "INSERT INTO Sort(Company, Ceo,
    Month) VALUES (@Company, @Ceo, @Month); SELECT Com" +
    "pany, Ceo, Month FROM Sort WHERE (Company = @Company)";
    this.sqlInsertCommand1.Connection = this.sqlConnection1;
    this.sqlInsertCommand1.Parameters.Add(new
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Company", System.Data.SqlDbType.VarChar,
    10, "Company"));
    this.sqlInsertCommand1.Parameters.Add(new
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Ceo", System.Data.SqlDbType.VarChar, 10,
    "Ceo"));
    this.sqlInsertCommand1.Parameters.Add(new
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@Month", System.Data.SqlDbType.VarChar,
    10, "Month"));
    //
    // sqlSelectCommand1
    //
    this.sqlSelectCommand1.CommandText = "SELECT Company, Ceo, Month FROM
    Sort";
    this.sqlSelectCommand1.Connection = this.sqlConnection1;
    //
    // sqlUpdateCommand1
    //
    this.sqlUpdateCommand1.CommandText = @"UPDATE Sort SET Company =
    @Company, Ceo = @Ceo, Month = @Month WHERE (Company = @Original_Company) AND
    (Ceo = @Original_Ceo OR @Original_Ceo IS NULL AND Ceo IS NULL) AND (Month =
    @Original_Month OR @Original_Month IS NULL AND Month IS NULL); SELECT
    Company, Ceo, Month FROM Sort WHERE (Company = @Company)";
    this.sqlUpdateCommand1.Connection = this.sqlConnection1;
    this.sqlUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new
[...]
    this.sqlCommand1.CommandText = "INSERT INTO Sort (Company) VALUES (@a)";
    this.sqlCommand1.Connection = this.sqlConnection1;
    this.sqlCommand1.Parameters.Add(new
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter("@a", System.Data.SqlDbType.VarChar, 10,
    "Company"));

    }

    /// <summary>
    /// Clean up any resources being used.
    /// </summary>
    protected override void Dispose( bool disposing )
    {
    if(disposing && components != null)
    {
    components.Dispose();
    }
    base.Dispose(disposing);
    }

    #endregion

    [WebMethod]
    public string DbEntry()
    {
    return (sqlCommand1.Parameters["@a"].Value=obj.rng);

    BUT I AM GETTING THE ERROR::
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DEMO\SQLQuery\Service1.asmx.cs(134): The type or namespace
    name 'My_Excel_Chart_Options' could not be found (are you missing a using
    directive or an assembly reference?)

    MY EXCEL PROJECT CODE IS ::

    using System;
    using System.Windows.Forms;
    using Office = Microsoft.Office.Core;
    using Excel = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel;
    using MSForms = Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms;

    // Office integration attribute. Identifies the startup class for the
    workbook. Do not modify.
    [assembly:System.ComponentModel.DescriptionAttribute("OfficeStartupClass,
    Version=1.0, Class=My_Excel_Chart_Options.OfficeCodeBehind")]

    namespace My_Excel_Chart_Options
    {
    /// <summary>
    /// Contains managed code extensions for the workbook.
    /// </summary>
    public class OfficeCodeBehind
    {

    /// <summary>
    /// Application object.
    /// </summary>
    internal Excel.Application ThisApplication
    {
    get { return thisApplication;}
    }

    /// <summary>
    /// Workbook object.
    /// </summary>
    internal Excel.Workbook ThisWorkbook
    {
    get { return thisWorkbook;}
    }

    private Excel.Application thisApplication = null;
    private Excel.Workbook thisWorkbook = null;

    private Excel.WorkbookEvents_OpenEventHandler openEvent;
    private Excel.WorkbookEvents_BeforeCloseEventHandler beforeCloseEvent;

    private MSForms.CommandButton btn;
    public Excel.Worksheet ws = (Excel.Worksheet)ThisWorkbook(Worksheet[1]);
    public Excel.Range rng;//,rng1,rng2;
    //public Excel.Range rng1;

    #region Generated initialization code

    /// <summary>
    /// Default constructor.
    /// </summary>
    public OfficeCodeBehind()

    /// <summary>
    /// Required procedure. Do not modify.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="application">Application object.</param>
    /// <param name="workbook">Workbook object.</param>
    public void _Startup(object application, object workbook)
    {
    this.thisApplication = application as Excel.Application;
    this.thisWorkbook = workbook as Excel.Workbook;

    openEvent= new Excel.WorkbookEvents_OpenEventHandler
    (ThisWorkbook_Open);
    thisWorkbook.Open += openEvent;

    beforeCloseEvent = new
    Excel.WorkbookEvents_BeforeCloseEventHandler(ThisWorkbook_BeforeClose);
    thisWorkbook.BeforeClose += beforeCloseEvent;
    }

    /// <summary>
    /// Required procedure. Do not modify.
    /// </summary>
    public void _Shutdown()
    {
    thisApplication = null;
    thisWorkbook = null;
    }

    /// <summary>
    /// Finds the control with the specified name in the active worksheet.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name='name'>Name of the control to find.</param>
    /// <returns>
    /// Returns the specified control, or null if it is not found.
    /// </returns>
    object FindControl(string name )
    {
    return FindControl(name, (Excel.Worksheet)
    ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet);
    }

    /// <summary>
    /// Returns the control with the specified name in the specified
    worksheet.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name='name'>Name of the control to find.</param>
    /// <param name='sheet'>Worksheet object that contains the
    control.</param>
    /// <returns>
    /// Returns the specified control, or null if it is not found.
    /// </returns>
    object FindControl(string name, Excel.Worksheet sheet )
    {
    Excel.OLEObject theObject;
    try
    {
    theObject = (Excel.OLEObject) sheet.OLEObjects(name);
    return theObject.Object;
    }
    catch
    {
    // Returns null if the control is not found.
    }
    return null;
    }

    #endregion

    protected void ThisWorkbook_Open()
    {
    this.btn =(MSForms.CommandButton)this.FindControl("btn");
    // Attaches the events after making sure the variables
    // have been properly initialized.
    if (this.btn != null )
    {
    this.btn.Click += new
    MSForms.CommandButtonEvents_ClickEventHandler(btn_Click);
    }
    //rng = (Excel.Range)ws.Cells[1,1];
    //localhost.SQLQuery.Service1 ser = new localhost.SQLQuery.Service1();

    }

    private void btn_Click()
    {
    localhost.SQLQuery.Service1 ser = new localhost.SQLQuery.Service1();
    rng = (Excel.Range)ws.Cells[1,1];
    ser.DbEntry(rng);
    //this.textboxShowText.Text += "Hello World! ";

    }

    protected void ThisWorkbook_BeforeClose(ref bool Cancel)
    {
    Cancel = false;

    ERROR IN THIS EXCEL PROJECT IS::

    1. C:\Documents and Settings\pmudl\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\My
    Excel Chart Options\ThisWorkbook.cs(43): The name 'Worksheet' does not exist
    in the class or namespace 'My_Excel_Chart_Options.OfficeCodeBehind'

    2. C:\Documents and Settings\pmud\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\My
    Excel Chart Options\ThisWorkbook.cs(142): The type or namespace name 'ser'
    could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly
    reference?)

    3. C:\Documents and Settings\pmud\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\My
    Excel Chart Options\ThisWorkbook.cs(140): The type or namespace name
    'localhost' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an
    assembly reference?)

    PLEASE HELP ME!

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=, Dec 30, 2004
  12. Hi Ken,

    I created a webservice which returns tha value form the cell[1] of teh
    excel worksheet to the database.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=, Dec 30, 2004
  13. =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

    David Jessee Guest

    Guys, I would be very VERY careful about invoking any Microsoft Office
    products from within ASP.NET

    Microsoft even recomments that you stay away from it. You'll end up with a
    few hundred rouge Excel.exe processes you can't kill

    =

    David Jessee, Dec 31, 2004
  14. =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

    Fabio Guest

    David Jessee wrote:
    > Guys, I would be very VERY careful about invoking any Microsoft Office
    > products from within ASP.NET
    >
    > Microsoft even recomments that you stay away from it. You'll end up with a
    > few hundred rouge Excel.exe processes you can't kill

    mmh... interesting - can you expand on that and possibly give a link?

    Thanks and HNY!

    Fabio, Dec 31, 2004
  15. =?Utf-8?B?cG11ZA==?=

    Stefan Guest

    Hi pmud,

    I actually wrote an ASP.NET application for a client which uploaded an
    *.xls file which was the customers MailList. I then parsed the data and
    dumped it into the clients SQL Server. It also allowed them to save
    there work and edit at a later date if the wanted to. You can view a
    sample here:

    http://members.shaw.ca/s-eisenberg/samples/samples.htm#Tel

    Happy Coding,

    Stefan
    C# GURU
    www.DotNETovation.com

    "You always have to look beyond the horizon and can never be complacent
    -- God forbid we become complacent."

    Jozef Straus

    Stefan, Dec 31, 2004
  16. Find your Office CD in it there is either OWC10.exe or OWC11.exe. These are
    the setups for the Office Web Components. There is one of the objects called
    a SpreadsheetClass component that can load only one kind of Excel spreadsheet
    the .xml spreadsheet. This means that you can save any spreadsheet in xml
    format and open it using OWC and use it as a regular spreadsheet without the
    overhead of Excel on the web. You can use every formula available to Excel
    meaning that you can use it as a calculation engine as well. You won't even
    have to rewrite your application a lot because it uses the same object model.
    Please look over the licensing restrictions to be sure it meets your needs.
    You will find it very cool that you won't have 10 copies of Excel open at
    the same time on your web server because your interop did not terminate them
    correctly.

    Here is a sample piece of a function using the spreadsheet in VB (I know you
    don't like it sorry). I named the ranges to make it easier to read. The
    documentation that is installed with the OWC will explain and have other
    examples for you. It will free you from the complexities of using Excel as a
    remote server.

    Public Sub New(ByVal strSheetPath As String)
    sp = New SpreadsheetClass

    Try

    'This is how we load it.
    sp.XMLURL = strSheetPath
    sp.Calculation = XlCalculation.xlCalculationAutomatic
    Catch ex As Exception

    RaiseEvent ErrorLoading(ex.Message)

    End Try

    End Sub

    Public Function getSheetValues(ByVal intOption As Integer, ByVal lsalary
    As Long, ByVal Excl As Boolean, ByVal intFlexall As Integer, ByVal intdeps As
    Integer) As Benefit

    Dim ob As Sheets
    Dim o As Name
    Dim ben As New Benefit

    ' i.Interval = 60

    Try
    If bGiveMeTime = True Then
    sp.ActiveSheet.Range("benefitoptionid").Value = intOption
    sp.ActiveSheet.Range("EXCLUDE").Value = Excl
    sp.ActiveSheet.Range("salary").Value = lsalary
    sp.ActiveSheet.Range("totaldependents").Value = intdeps
    ' sp.ActiveSheet.Range("benefitoptionid").Value()
    bEvent = False

    sp.CalculateFull()

    ben.intFlex = CInt(sp.ActiveSheet.Range("flextotal").Value)
    ben.dCont = CDec(sp.ActiveSheet.Range("contot").Value)

    Let me know how it went.

    Juan C. Marin MCP

    =?Utf-8?B?SkM=?=, Jan 10, 2005