Using Exchange Server 2000 to Authenticate

Mike

I am writing an ASP.Net application for my company. In order to
access the site the user must log in. Authentication is handled by
using the login and password and comparing it to a database table
located on IIS. Works fine.

Corporate now want it to validate the user by using MS Exchange Server
2000 so that we don't need to create yet another string of passwords
for the users. Also, they want me to retrieve information regarding
the roles for each user for access to different areas (agaian from the
exchange server).

I am asumming that this is possible, but have yet to find a good
example to use. I don't want to access anything on the Exchange
Server except to perform validation.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Michael dot shields at mfgenv dot com

Steve Jansen

Why use Exchange 2k for authentication? Why not use your Active Directory
for authentication, which is exactly what Exchange 2k does (in native mode)?
Then you can leave authentication/authorization to IIS and simply set your
forms authentication mode to Windows.