Using existing COM component from web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by David Wilson, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. David Wilson

    David Wilson Guest

    Hi,

    I wrote a maths library as a COM component and would like for people to be
    able to access this library via a web service. I've set up the web service,
    and all works fine...unless I try to instantiate my COM object from within
    any of the web service methods, then either an error 500 is returned if I use
    POST to access the web server....or an exception is thrown and a "this method
    is not allowed" message is returned if I use a soap client.

    Is a web service allowed to access components that are installed on the
    server? I've set up my IIS virtual directory to allow running scripts and
    executables...and have granted full read, write etc access to all users.

    Thanks for taking the time to read this,

    Regards,

    David.
    David Wilson, Nov 1, 2005