using FIFO in vhdl

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by sameer_ciit, Aug 17, 2009.

  1. sameer_ciit

    Aug 17, 2009
    I want to use FIFO component in vhdl. I have successfully designed FIFO component and it is working fine, i have tested it with testbench. But the problem is i don't know how to use this component in vhdl code.
    Here is description of work i want to do. I have another component named ALU, one instantiation of it will write data into FIFO(PUSH) and other will read data from FIFO(POP). The code is

    library ieee;
    use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;

    entity exam3 is
    generic ( B: natural:=8; -- number of data bits
    W: natural:=2 -- number of address bits
    port(v10: in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
    clk: in std_logic;
    v40: out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0));
    end exam3;

    architecture structure of exam3 is

    component alu is
    port(a,b:in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
    clk:in std_logic;
    sel:in std_logic_vector(2 downto 0) ;
    c: out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0));
    end component;
    component fifo
    generic (B : natural;W:natural);
    port ( clk: in std_logic;
    rd, wr: in std_logic;
    w_data: in std_logic_vector ( B-1 downto 0) ;
    empty, full: out std_logic ;
    r_data : out std_logic_vector ( B-1 downto 0));
    end component;

    signal rd,wr,s_empty,s_full: std_logic;
    signal v4,v5: std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
    u3: alu port map(v10, v5,clk,"101",v40); --xor

    generic map(B=>B,W=>W)
    port map(clk=>clk,rd=>rd,wr=>wr,

    u2: alu port map(v10, "11111111",clk,"001",v4); --and
    end structure; ​

    May be this is basic question but as i am new to VHDL, so i can't understand how to solve it. I will be thankful to you for your help.
    sameer_ciit, Aug 17, 2009

  2. debayan_p

    Jun 2, 2009
    It is difficult to suggest something in this way. I do not have the overview of the whole design !
    debayan_p, Aug 24, 2009

  3. vipinlal

    Feb 25, 2010
    this may help you..