Using form to send e-mail

\Crash\ Dummy

I would like to use a form on my web site to e-mail user comments to me. I have
ASP capability to run server side scripts. The host domain has a SMTP server,
but I don't know if it is on the same machine as the HTTP server. A simple
reference with lots of pictures and sample scripts would be much appreciated.

I was referred to this page in another newsgroup
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
and I have a question about a line of code presented there:

..Item(sch & "smtpserver") = "<enter_mail.server_here>"

Can the server just be entered as a URL, like "mail.xxx.com?"

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

"Crash" Dummy said:
I would like to use a form on my web site to e-mail user comments to me. I have
ASP capability to run server side scripts. The host domain has a SMTP server,
but I don't know if it is on the same machine as the HTTP server. A simple
reference with lots of pictures and sample scripts would be much appreciated.

I was referred to this page in another newsgroup
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
and I have a question about a line of code presented there:

.Item(sch & "smtpserver") = "<enter_mail.server_here>"

Can the server just be entered as a URL, like "mail.xxx.com?"

Yes, you can enter the servername in that format (although you'd call that a
FQDN (fully qualified domain name) not a URL).

First, I think you should find out what server on your network is your SMTP
server. Do you have an Exchange server? If so, that could be the server
handling SMTP. After finding out which server is your SMTP server, you need
to know whether or not it will allow relaying from your IIS server. Some
network admins have relaying allowed from any internal IP. Some do not. If
they do not (hopefully they don't...) ask your Exchange or SMTP guy to setup
SMTP to allow relaying from the IP of your IIS server. Then, on the IIS
server, you can simply setup the SMTP service on that machine to use the
Exchange (or SMTP) server as a "smarthost." (Properties dialog of Default
SMTP Virtual Server---Delivery Tab---Advanced...)

Ray at work