    Can the server just be entered as a URL, like "mail.xxx.com?"
    ?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com
    \Crash\ Dummy, Jan 17, 2005

  2. ""Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message
    news:uiQ7RWL$...
    > I would like to use a form on my web site to e-mail user comments to me. I

    have
    > ASP capability to run server side scripts. The host domain has a SMTP

    server,
    > but I don't know if it is on the same machine as the HTTP server. A simple
    > reference with lots of pictures and sample scripts would be much

    appreciated.

    > I was referred to this page in another newsgroup
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
    > and I have a question about a line of code presented there:
    >
    > .Item(sch & "smtpserver") = "<enter_mail.server_here>"
    >
    > Can the server just be entered as a URL, like "mail.xxx.com?"

    Yes, you can enter the servername in that format (although you'd call that a
    FQDN (fully qualified domain name) not a URL).

    First, I think you should find out what server on your network is your SMTP
    server. Do you have an Exchange server? If so, that could be the server
    handling SMTP. After finding out which server is your SMTP server, you need
    to know whether or not it will allow relaying from your IIS server. Some
    network admins have relaying allowed from any internal IP. Some do not. If
    they do not (hopefully they don't...) ask your Exchange or SMTP guy to setup
    SMTP to allow relaying from the IP of your IIS server. Then, on the IIS
    server, you can simply setup the SMTP service on that machine to use the
    Exchange (or SMTP) server as a "smarthost." (Properties dialog of Default
    SMTP Virtual Server---Delivery Tab---Advanced...)

    Ray at work
    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jan 17, 2005

  3. Thank you. It's up and running.
    \Crash\ Dummy, Jan 17, 2005