    Are there any other reasons to avoid them?

    In my experience I find them clunky and messy to implement using javascript
    and prefer to keep the whole web page as a single page.

    Owen, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Unless you write some fancy javascript hooks, you can pretty much right
    off back and forward buttons for intuitive navigation when you go to
    frames.

    However, every coding style has it's applications.

    If you are building complex business applications that deal with tons
    of data, complex data structures and workflows, frames are the best way
    to go. Otherwise the users always complain about managing multiple
    windows. Sure tabs make this less painful in the better browsers but
    not much.

    If you want to do frames be ready to write some rather complex JS to
    make the application work properly.

    If you cannot do JS for these sites, I would avoid frames. Frames
    without JS are just too mundane un-intuitive. For example, when a user
    navigates to the sub frame from a Google search result, they will not
    get the entire frameset. This will result in the user only getting the
    one frame. This can be prevented by the server checking if the user
    requested the frameset within n seconds and if not send them the
    frameset instead (complex). Also, JS can be written to search for the
    frameset and redirect to the frameset as necessary (has a few tails but
    is realtively easy to do)

    JsD

    Java script Dude, Sep 13, 2005