    I need some samples of using frames in html.

    should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)

    Thanks :)
    Mr. x, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Mr. x

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <3fc336d2$1@news.012.net.il>, says...
    > I need some samples of using frames in html.
    > should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)
    > Thanks :)

    Of this group hates... Iframe is hated a little more than normal frames.

    Personally, I liked IFrames as they were more flexible, but it was
    project by project dependant (even if we used frames at all). Frameset
    is more common though.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <3fc336d2$1@news.012.net.il>, says...
    >> I need some samples of using frames in html.
    >> should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)
    >> Thanks :)

    > Of this group hates... Iframe is hated a little more than normal
    > frames.

    really? I'd have though it was about the same. Where's Duende when we need
    him?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Nov 25, 2003
  4. William Tasso, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Mr. x

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bpvmab$1sln3k$-berlin.de>, news27
    @tbdata.com says...
    > > Of this group hates... Iframe is hated a little more than normal
    > > frames.

    > really? I'd have though it was about the same. Where's Duende when we need
    > him?

    No way, IFrame has it hands down with out a doubt.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Mr. x

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Mr. x wrote:
    > I need some samples of using frames in html.
    > should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)

    Frames. Both however have serious disadavantages.
    You shouldn't ask for samples but explain what you want. Some of us probably
    can give you an advice for an alternative solution.
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Mr. x wrote in message ...
    > I need some samples of using frames in html.
    > should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)

    I'll hold my hand up and say I like frames too, as long as they are proportioned well on a page.

    I build most of my websites in frames, because I like them and my customers like them when I show
    them comparisons between nicely framed framed websites and nice non-framed websites, before I start
    work on them.

    The search results on Google are fine with my websites, which is what matters to my clients.

    Of the websites in my sig below only one is non-framed (The Sui Generis one)

    From my experience of browsing on the web I would guess framed websites far outnumber those with
    i-frames.

    --
    Cheers ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk
    Trevor George, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Mr. x

    PeterMcC Guest

    Trevor George wrote:
    > Mr. x wrote in message ...
    >> I need some samples of using frames in html.
    >> should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)

    > I'll hold my hand up and say I like frames too, as long as they are
    > proportioned well on a page.
    >
    > I build most of my websites in frames, because I like them and my
    > customers like them when I show them comparisons between nicely
    > framed framed websites and nice non-framed websites, before I start
    > work on them.
    >
    > The search results on Google are fine with my websites, which is what
    > matters to my clients.

    Not to argue, though I do advise against frames, but to point out some
    difficulties using one of the sites that you suggested.

    I looked at the first one on the site you suggested, Waverley Models, and
    tried to find it with a Google for
    "1:12 West Country Cutter or Plymouth Hooker"

    The Waverley site comes up at number one but the link is to an orphaned
    page - it might be worth putting some js in there to re-frame the page.

    Also it isn't possible to bookmark individual pages.

    A search for "Waverley Models" comes up with a link and the following
    description in Google "Sorry, you don't appear to have frame support. Go
    here instead - Waverley Models." which could be more enticing.

    I appreciate that your clients are happy with the way things are - and may
    they long continue to be so. I hope to have simply pointed out a few frames
    problems using one of the sites that you'd kindly mentioned.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Nov 25, 2003
  9. Also sprach Mr. x:

    www.mlynarczyk-webdesign.de

    > should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)

    It seems framesets are more common than iframes, but I suppose the main
    reason is that Netscape 4.x does not support iframes. Also, it seems some
    browsers have problems with displaying iframes correctly sized.

    Thomas
    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Nov 25, 2003
  10. PeterMcC wrote in message ...
    > The link is to an orphaned page.

    Thanks for pointing that out.

    I realise there are a number of errors and omissions in the mark-up, but that's what comes of
    leading a 'busy' life, with other distractions, such as kids, *real work* (not at a PC), and
    time-conssuming hobbies such as motorcycling :~)

    Memo to self - Must check ALL mark-up on my websites :~)

    --
    Cheers ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk
    Trevor George, Nov 25, 2003
  11. Quoth the raven named Trevor George:

    > PeterMcC wrote in message ...
    >
    >>The link is to an orphaned page.

    > Thanks for pointing that out.
    >
    > I realise there are a number of errors and omissions in the mark-up, but that's what comes of
    > leading a 'busy' life, with other distractions, such as kids, *real work* (not at a PC), and
    > time-conssuming hobbies such as motorcycling :~)
    >
    > Memo to self - Must check ALL mark-up on my websites :~)

    Trevor! Your F650 site is down... what happened?

    http://www.bmwf650.co.uk/
    404 Not Found
    There was no page found at this location. You may wish to report this
    to the owner of the site.

    --
    -bts
    -Airhead rider from New York State.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    Well, Thanks.

    I will use frameset.
    Is there any help of each attribute of frameset (i.e. I see that frameset
    make a thick line between each frame - what if I don't want this) ?

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Nov 26, 2003
  13. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    Also, I see that I cannot declare frameset in the <body section>
    (I want to make a table, split the table, center the table, etc... and in
    the table cell I want to put a frameset - can I ?

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Nov 26, 2003
  14. Also sprach Mr. x:

    > Also, I see that I cannot declare frameset in the <body section>
    > (I want to make a table, split the table, center the table, etc...
    > and in the table cell I want to put a frameset - can I ?

    No, you can't. In that case you'd have to use an iframe. Your only chance
    with a frameset is to split up the client area into several frames, most of
    which will be quite useless.
    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Nov 26, 2003
  15. Mr. x

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Mr. x wrote:
    > Also, I see that I cannot declare frameset in the <body section>
    > (I want to make a table, split the table, center the table, etc...
    > and in the table cell I want to put a frameset - can I ?

    That's disastrous :)
    You still haven't explained what it is your trying to do (i.e. the layout or
    functions of the page). Without knowing that it's impossible to advice you
    properly.
    And, before you continue, read something about html. A booklet like 'HTML
    for starters' will save you (and us :) a lot of time
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 27, 2003
  16. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    Please, don't offense, I have learned and used all the protocols, and even
    some designing programs (flash, xara, phothoshop, 3d max), and made a site
    of my own, now - good designing is my issue.

    It just for having some inner Aspx pages (like email sending, without
    openning the outlook, and more ...).
    I want a specific method for good designing and arranging my elements on the
    screen.

    The designing can be in several ways (table, frameset, iframe, etc ...), but
    I need that one cell will be entirely an aspx page (inner page in the
    current page).
    Maybe iframe is better choice (not as many of people advised me in this
    section of newsgroup), but if iframe is the solution - from what version of
    IE/Netscape is iframe supported, and what iframe is so lack of ?
    If not iframe is the solution to put an inner aspx page in the current page,
    so what is the solution ?

    I need some samples, please.

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Nov 27, 2003
  17. Also sprach Mr. x:

    > Maybe iframe is better choice (not as many of people advised me in
    > this section of newsgroup), but if iframe is the solution - from what
    > version of IE/Netscape is iframe supported, and what iframe is so
    > lack of ? If not iframe is the solution to put an inner aspx page in
    > the current page, so what is the solution ?

    As far as I know, NN4.x is more or less the only browser today which does
    not support iframes. As for alternatives, maybe the <object> element can
    help you - but if I'm not wrong, this is not supported by older browsers. If
    you want a frameset, maybe this can inspire you:
    http://members.surfeu.de/home/tomtomatic/. But I must warn you: First, this
    page is only viewable with IE4+ (standard config, JS enabled), and second,
    it is rather an example of bad webdesign (one of my first creations, from a
    time when I still had to learn *quite* a lot about webdesign). But it can
    show you the principle behind the frameset structure.
    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Nov 27, 2003
  18. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    Hello again,
    I have checked this out, and found that netscape support iframe.
    As I understood I can use frameset and iframe with not much feer of old
    support (because it is old enough).
    If this is what you say that old NN4.x doesn't support iframe (What year ?,
    what windows version ?) then it's O.K with me to use iframe
    (I thought Netscape doesn't support iframe at all).

    So the last questions :
    1) When was iframe first intoduce (what versions of IE and netscape + years)
    ?
    2) Same question as above about frameset.

    Mr. x, Nov 27, 2003
  19. Mr. x

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:09:03 +0200, Mr. x is reported to have
    stated:

    > The designing can be in several ways (table,

    Is for tabular data, not page layout.
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    frameset,

    Frames are definitely not a good solution.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/

    iframe, etc ...),

    Probably the better option, but still not ideal.
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html

    > but I need that one cell will be entirely an aspx page (inner page in the
    > current page).

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    BTW: Please don't post upside down.

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Nov 27, 2003
  20. Mr. x

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Mr. x wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote
    >> Mr. x wrote:

    >>> Also, I see that I cannot declare frameset in the <body section>
    >>> (I want to make a table, split the table, center the table, etc...
    >>> and in the table cell I want to put a frameset - can I ?

    >> That's disastrous :)
    >> You still haven't explained what it is your trying to do (i.e. the
    >> layout or functions of the page). Without knowing that it's
    >> impossible to advice you properly.

    > It just for having some inner Aspx pages (like email sending, without
    > openning the outlook, and more ...).
    > The designing can be in several ways (table, frameset, iframe, etc
    > ...), but I need that one cell will be entirely an aspx page (inner
    > page in the current page).

    If you want to include a file: use PHP. Nothing more than <? include
    "xxxxxxx.yyy"; ?>
    (And don't post on top: http://html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost :)
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 28, 2003