using frames,

Mr. x

Hello,
I need some samples of using frames in html.

should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)

Thanks :)

Whitecrest

I need some samples of using frames in html.
should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)
Thanks :)

Of this group hates... Iframe is hated a little more than normal frames.

Personally, I liked IFrames as they were more flexible, but it was
project by project dependant (even if we used frames at all). Frameset
is more common though.

William Tasso

Whitecrest said:
Of this group hates... Iframe is hated a little more than normal
frames.

really? I'd have though it was about the same. Where's Duende when we need
him?

Nico Schuyt

Mr. x said:
I need some samples of using frames in html.
should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)

Frames. Both however have serious disadavantages.
You shouldn't ask for samples but explain what you want. Some of us probably
can give you an advice for an alternative solution.
Nico

Trevor George

Mr. x wrote in message ...
I need some samples of using frames in html.
should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)

I'll hold my hand up and say I like frames too, as long as they are proportioned well on a page.

I build most of my websites in frames, because I like them and my customers like them when I show
them comparisons between nicely framed framed websites and nice non-framed websites, before I start
work on them.

The search results on Google are fine with my websites, which is what matters to my clients.

Of the websites in my sig below only one is non-framed (The Sui Generis one)

From my experience of browsing on the web I would guess framed websites far outnumber those with
i-frames.

PeterMcC

Trevor said:
Mr. x wrote in message ...

I'll hold my hand up and say I like frames too, as long as they are
proportioned well on a page.

I build most of my websites in frames, because I like them and my
customers like them when I show them comparisons between nicely
framed framed websites and nice non-framed websites, before I start
work on them.

The search results on Google are fine with my websites, which is what
matters to my clients.

Not to argue, though I do advise against frames, but to point out some
difficulties using one of the sites that you suggested.

I looked at the first one on the site you suggested, Waverley Models, and
tried to find it with a Google for
"1:12 West Country Cutter or Plymouth Hooker"

The Waverley site comes up at number one but the link is to an orphaned
page - it might be worth putting some js in there to re-frame the page.

Also it isn't possible to bookmark individual pages.

A search for "Waverley Models" comes up with a link and the following
description in Google "Sorry, you don't appear to have frame support. Go
here instead - Waverley Models." which could be more enticing.

I appreciate that your clients are happy with the way things are - and may
they long continue to be so. I hope to have simply pointed out a few frames
problems using one of the sites that you'd kindly mentioned.

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Mr. x:
Hello,
I need some samples of using frames in html.
www.mlynarczyk-webdesign.de

should I use iframe, or frameset (what is more common ?)

It seems framesets are more common than iframes, but I suppose the main
reason is that Netscape 4.x does not support iframes. Also, it seems some
browsers have problems with displaying iframes correctly sized.

Thomas

Trevor George

PeterMcC wrote in message ...
The link is to an orphaned page.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I realise there are a number of errors and omissions in the mark-up, but that's what comes of
leading a 'busy' life, with other distractions, such as kids, *real work* (not at a PC), and
time-conssuming hobbies such as motorcycling :~)

Memo to self - Must check ALL mark-up on my websites :~)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Trevor George:
PeterMcC wrote in message ...

Thanks for pointing that out.

I realise there are a number of errors and omissions in the mark-up, but that's what comes of
leading a 'busy' life, with other distractions, such as kids, *real work* (not at a PC), and
time-conssuming hobbies such as motorcycling :~)

Memo to self - Must check ALL mark-up on my websites :~)

Trevor! Your F650 site is down... what happened?

http://www.bmwf650.co.uk/
404 Not Found
There was no page found at this location. You may wish to report this
to the owner of the site.

Mr. x

Well, Thanks.

I will use frameset.
Is there any help of each attribute of frameset (i.e. I see that frameset
make a thick line between each frame - what if I don't want this) ?

Thanks :)

Mr. x

Also, I see that I cannot declare frameset in the <body section>
(I want to make a table, split the table, center the table, etc... and in
the table cell I want to put a frameset - can I ?

Thanks :)

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Mr. x:
Also, I see that I cannot declare frameset in the <body section>
(I want to make a table, split the table, center the table, etc...
and in the table cell I want to put a frameset - can I ?

No, you can't. In that case you'd have to use an iframe. Your only chance
with a frameset is to split up the client area into several frames, most of
which will be quite useless.

Nico Schuyt

Mr. x said:
Also, I see that I cannot declare frameset in the <body section>
(I want to make a table, split the table, center the table, etc...
and in the table cell I want to put a frameset - can I ?

That's disastrous :)
You still haven't explained what it is your trying to do (i.e. the layout or
functions of the page). Without knowing that it's impossible to advice you
properly.
And, before you continue, read something about html. A booklet like 'HTML
for starters' will save you (and us :) a lot of time
Nico

Mr. x

Please, don't offense, I have learned and used all the protocols, and even
some designing programs (flash, xara, phothoshop, 3d max), and made a site
of my own, now - good designing is my issue.

It just for having some inner Aspx pages (like email sending, without
openning the outlook, and more ...).
I want a specific method for good designing and arranging my elements on the
screen.

The designing can be in several ways (table, frameset, iframe, etc ...), but
I need that one cell will be entirely an aspx page (inner page in the
current page).
Maybe iframe is better choice (not as many of people advised me in this
section of newsgroup), but if iframe is the solution - from what version of
IE/Netscape is iframe supported, and what iframe is so lack of ?
If not iframe is the solution to put an inner aspx page in the current page,
so what is the solution ?

I need some samples, please.

Thanks :)

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Mr. x:
Maybe iframe is better choice (not as many of people advised me in
this section of newsgroup), but if iframe is the solution - from what
version of IE/Netscape is iframe supported, and what iframe is so
lack of ? If not iframe is the solution to put an inner aspx page in
the current page, so what is the solution ?

As far as I know, NN4.x is more or less the only browser today which does
not support iframes. As for alternatives, maybe the <object> element can
help you - but if I'm not wrong, this is not supported by older browsers. If
you want a frameset, maybe this can inspire you:
http://members.surfeu.de/home/tomtomatic/. But I must warn you: First, this
page is only viewable with IE4+ (standard config, JS enabled), and second,
it is rather an example of bad webdesign (one of my first creations, from a
time when I still had to learn *quite* a lot about webdesign). But it can
show you the principle behind the frameset structure.

Mr. x

Hello again,
I have checked this out, and found that netscape support iframe.
As I understood I can use frameset and iframe with not much feer of old
support (because it is old enough).
If this is what you say that old NN4.x doesn't support iframe (What year ?,
what windows version ?) then it's O.K with me to use iframe
(I thought Netscape doesn't support iframe at all).

So the last questions :
1) When was iframe first intoduce (what versions of IE and netscape + years)
?
2) Same question as above about frameset.

Thanks :)

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:09:03 +0200, Mr. x is reported to have
stated:
The designing can be in several ways (table,

Is for tabular data, not page layout.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

frameset,

Frames are definitely not a good solution.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/

iframe, etc ...),

Probably the better option, but still not ideal.
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html
but I need that one cell will be entirely an aspx page (inner page in the
current page).

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

BTW: Please don't post upside down.

Nico Schuyt

Mr. x said:
Nico Schuyt wrote
It just for having some inner Aspx pages (like email sending, without
openning the outlook, and more ...).
The designing can be in several ways (table, frameset, iframe, etc
...), but I need that one cell will be entirely an aspx page (inner
page in the current page).

If you want to include a file: use PHP. Nothing more than <? include
"xxxxxxx.yyy"; ?>
(And don't post on top: http://html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost :)
Nico