Using gcc with mswin32 version of Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Brian Takita, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. Brian Takita

    Brian Takita Guest

    Hello,

    I am using the mswin32 version of ruby (One Click installer.
    v1.8.2-15).

    Unfortunately, every package involving a c extension and mkmf that I
    tried to install DOES NOT work.
    I'm convinced that this is because mswin32 wants to use the cl (Visual
    Studio) compiler and these libraries are targeted to use gcc.

    I installed MinGW on my system and would like to try to use GCC
    whenever compiling.
    Does anybody know of a rbconfig.rb script that uses gcc for the mswin32
    distribution?

    Fyi, I tried the MinGW ruby distribution, but Gems did not work. I also
    prefer how well the mswin32 distribution is integrated with Windows.

    Thank you,
    Brian Takita
    Brian Takita, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Brian Takita

    Brian Takita Guest

    > Fyi, I tried the MinGW ruby distribution, but Gems did not work.

    I must eat my words here. I removed the RUBYOPT = rubygems environment
    setting. Adding it back in caused gems to work again.
    Brian Takita, Aug 1, 2005