Using gcc with mswin32 version of Ruby

Brian Takita

Hello,

I am using the mswin32 version of ruby (One Click installer.
v1.8.2-15).

Unfortunately, every package involving a c extension and mkmf that I
tried to install DOES NOT work.
I'm convinced that this is because mswin32 wants to use the cl (Visual
Studio) compiler and these libraries are targeted to use gcc.

I installed MinGW on my system and would like to try to use GCC
whenever compiling.
Does anybody know of a rbconfig.rb script that uses gcc for the mswin32
distribution?

Fyi, I tried the MinGW ruby distribution, but Gems did not work. I also
prefer how well the mswin32 distribution is integrated with Windows.

Thank you,
Brian Takita

Brian Takita

Fyi, I tried the MinGW ruby distribution, but Gems did not work.

I must eat my words here. I removed the RUBYOPT = rubygems environment
setting. Adding it back in caused gems to work again.