Using ICL to compile C extensions

dayzman

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can use "icl" (Intel C++) to compile C
extensions? I'm on Windows, and my Python is compiled using VS7.1
(binary distribution). Right now, when I run setup.py install, it uses
cl.exe (MSVC++ Toolkit 2003), and I would like to use icl because
MSVC++ 2003 does not support C99.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Michael

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Does anyone know how I can use "icl" (Intel C++) to compile C
extensions? I'm on Windows, and my Python is compiled using VS7.1
(binary distribution). Right now, when I run setup.py install, it uses
cl.exe (MSVC++ Toolkit 2003), and I would like to use icl because
MSVC++ 2003 does not support C99.

It should be possible to use this compiler, as long as you can link to
msvcr71.dll (i.e. as long as you have header files of the MS C library,
and an import library that links to msvcr71).

Whether you can use distutils to run the build process is a different
issue - you might need to extend distutils.

Regards,
Martin

John Carter

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can use "icl" (Intel C++) to compile C
extensions? I'm on Windows, and my Python is compiled using VS7.1
(binary distribution). Right now, when I run setup.py install, it uses
cl.exe (MSVC++ Toolkit 2003), and I would like to use icl because
MSVC++ 2003 does not support C99.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Michael

I've not tried to do it using distutils yet, but when I was building
extension modules with my own make files and nmake all I had to do was
chance cl to icl and use the correct linker. You can tune the
performance playing with switches, but I got a factor 3 improvement on
a DCT type algorithm with out of the box settings.

I can send you an example makefile if you want

John Carter

(e-mail address removed)