Using ImpersonateLoggedOnUser

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by D, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. D

    D Guest

    We have a .NET application implemented as a Windows
    service in order to perform impersonation for the purposes
    of gaining access to various resources. We are using
    ImpersonateLoggedOnUser() instead of the .NET
    impersonation API.

    Everything works fine except when we call an external COM
    component that is supposed to print a report using its
    internal API calls. We can access file resources, etc.

    We perform impersonation to a valid administrator account,
    yet the application fails to print (we wrote debugging
    information to make sure that we are impersonating
    properly).

    The problem appears to be that the external process is
    still using the local SYSTEM account, which by default
    does not have access to printers (unless the registry is
    modified - see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=kb;en-us;184291). If the registry is modified to
    allow printer access to the SYSTEM account, printing works
    fine.

    We do not want to have to modify the registry to allow
    access to printers. Any idea why impersonation is failing
    here?

    Thanks in advance.

    D, Feb 27, 2005