Using invalid.com email addresses

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

Damn! I missed the @invalid.com in the address. I'm not sure why I
just didn't do this before but @invalid.com just went into my
blacklist.

Does anyone else think that that behaviour is just rude, not to mention
in violation of the RFCs?

Alf P. Steinbach

* D'Arcy J.M. Cain:
Damn! I missed the @invalid.com in the address. I'm not sure why I
just didn't do this before but @invalid.com just went into my
blacklist.

Does anyone else think that that behaviour is just rude, not to mention
in violation of the RFCs?

In RFC violation yes.

<quote source="rfc2606">
To safely satisfy these needs, four domain names are reserved as
listed and described below.

.test
.example
.invalid
.localhost

".test" is recommended for use in testing of current or new DNS
related code.

".example" is recommended for use in documentation or as examples.

".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
glance are invalid.

The ".localhost" TLD has traditionally been statically defined in
host DNS implementations as having an A record pointing to the
loop back IP address and is reserved for such use. Any other use
would conflict with widely deployed code which assumes this use.
</quote>

Rude, no, it's probably someone who thought that /including/ the word "invalid"
was the way to do it.

Cheers, just my 3 øre,

- Alf

PS: in the same way, not including "OT" in the subject line here might be
considered rude. But then, if I were to add it, some newsreader might split the
thread. So it's difficult to please everyone! :)

Paul Rubin

Ben Finney said:
Yes, it violates RFCs. It also ignores the fact that the domain is
currently registered until 2010-08-03, and is therefore not available
for anyone else's use, unless they happen to have an arrangement for its
use with the registrant.

I'd think whoever registered that domain would have known what they were
getting into when they registered it. Same with "example.com" and so forth.

Lie Ryan

Which doesn't make it any more appropriate to act as though you have
free rein in a domain registered to someone else.

Especially so as there are domains reserved by RFC 2606 that are *known*
never to be registered by anyone, and that *are* free for such use.

I would be more inclined to think that whoever registered it, actually
does so he can get those misdirected emails; my suspicion was confirmed
after seeing this on http://www.invalid.com:

===
Hi everybody,

Thank you for all the e-mails you sent to us! I promise to read them as
soon as I can, but please be patient - today there are 292,988 unread
messages in our invalid.com inboxes and I'm all alone at the office.

Maybe you want to buy my domain name and get a couple of thousand
e-mails every month? It's a lot of fun, but I guess you too would feel a
bit exhausted after a while :)

Take care!

Elsa W.

(e-mail address removed)
===

Seeing that, I cannot bring myself to think it's impolite to use it as
/dev/null service (it's still impolite to your reader though). I'm a bit
suspicious of their real motives though, who knows if it's owned by spam
email address collector.

example.com, though, seems to be registered to IANA (Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority).

Steve Holden

Lie said:
[...]

As usual, there are people who know what they are doing, people who know
they don't know what they're doing, and people who don't know they don't
know what they're doing.

This is teh Intarwebs. Live with it or leave.

regards
Steve
(who can't believe he just typed "the" as a typo for "teh")