    I tried using the dns IP lookup number, but I get error messages.
    The html code doesn't seem to name the directories/files for the
    login page.

    Changling, Jun 29, 2003

  2. On 29 Jun 2003 16:55:30 GMT, Changling <> wrote:
    > How do I login to webmail accounts using an IP number, instead of
    > the url? IOW, how do I find the correct address/dir/files for the
    > login page?
    >
    > I tried using the dns IP lookup number, but I get error messages.
    > The html code doesn't seem to name the directories/files for the
    > login page.

    Insuffucient data. What webmail program? Do control the server, or just
    trying to connect to it as a client (browser or script?)?

    If the latter, maybe they use virtual hosts (multiple names for same IP),
    in which case the HTTP request needs a proper Host: header, so the server
    can tell which of multiple virtual hosts you want to access. If you are
    using a script, it might also need to be capable of doing web
    authentication, and/or handling cookies, and/or JavaScript.

    For example if you tried to access my home computer by its IP or reverse
    name (instead of one of its virtual hostnames), you would end up in my
    default worm trap.

    http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
    http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

    David Efflandt, Jun 29, 2003

  3. In article <01093A966A78827A0110Changlingaohell3@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > How do I login to webmail accounts using an IP number, instead of
    > the url? IOW, how do I find the correct address/dir/files for the
    > login page?
    >
    > I tried using the dns IP lookup number, but I get error messages.
    > The html code doesn't seem to name the directories/files for the
    > login page.

    For starters, you're asking in the wrong place. None of what you want
    to do can be done with HTML. You don't specify what the "webmail
    accounts" really are, nor do you hint at the technologies you have at
    your disposal.

    --
    Hywel Never knowingly understood
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Changling

    Changling Guest

    Sorry, I did not mean to be obtuse.
    I just want to login as a client to a webmail page using their
    IP, without needing to dns their domain name.
    I think it's probably that i just don't have the correct file name
    for their login page, but it could be they are aliasing their ip
    in some way. This is related to html, cuz I think it's simply a
    matter of not having the correct file name. For example if I try
    to login to mail.foo.com using a dns server lookup, all goes ok.
    If I do a reverse dns for mail.foo.com and then try to login to
    their first server ip http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx, I then get an error
    message. If I try http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx/mail/login.html, I get
    file not found. Does this make more sense?

    on 29 Jun 2003, (David Efflandt) wrote in

    Changling, Jun 30, 2003
  5. Changling

    chamelyonman Guest

    Sheesh, I'm sorry I even asked. If you guys don't know, that's ok,
    I'll ask in another group. ;-) I can only tell you it's not part
    of any exploit attempt; I have other reasons for not using dns. I
    think it's just that I don't have the correct login page file
    name. I will ask the admins of the sites in question, but doubtful
    they answer webmail user inquiries. Maybe this is too difficult a
    question for you'all, and I should try alt.2600.

    on 30 Jun 2003, (David Efflandt) wrote in

    chamelyonman, Jun 30, 2003
  6. Changling

    Sam Guest

    chamelyonman writes:

    > they answer webmail user inquiries. Maybe this is too difficult a
    > question for you'all, and I should try alt.2600.

    Don't be surprised if they call you a weenie also.

    Except that by the time you read the 'weenie' remark, your box would
    already be hacked and rooted.

    Sam, Jun 30, 2003
  7. In article <01093AA6251262680100139128XLchameleo@130.133.1.4>,
    says...

    > I'll ask in another group. ;-) I can only tell you it's not part
    > of any exploit attempt;

    Well, no, obviously not.

    > I have other reasons for not using dns.

    What are they?

    > I think it's just that I don't have the correct login page file
    > name.

    What does that mean?

    Anyway, google for 'virtual hosting'.

    Alternatively, I guess you could 'Turbo10' for 'virtual hosting' but the
    first 5 hits are about someone called 'harry s trueman', so I guess the
    verb is going to be 'google' for some time yet.

    --
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog;
    but everyone can spot a teenager.

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jun 30, 2003
  8. I know that IIS servers can host multiple domains on a single machine and
    IP. The way they do this is to set up IIS to examine the request and direct
    you to the correct pages based on header information. What this means for
    you is that if this is the case with your provider, then there is no way to
    that site with the IP address since they haven't set up the routings for it.

    --
    Andrew Butchart

    http://www.abutchartconsulting.com/botdocs/ - ABC Bot - Shareware SMTP/POP3
    Mail Server

    Andrew Butchart, Jul 1, 2003
  9. Changling

    Guest

    thanks for the additional information. if this is the case, as you
    say, i wonder why i am getting "file not found" when trying to
    guess the correct dir/file name for the login page. this leads me
    to suspect that it is just a matter of having the incorrect path;
    or they are handling the path request in a way i am unfamiliar
    with.

    on 30 Jun 2003, "Andrew Butchart"
    <> wrote in

    > I know that IIS servers can host multiple domains on a single
    > machine and IP. The way they do this is to set up IIS to
    > examine the request and direct you to the correct pages based on
    > header information. What this means for you is that if this is
    > the case with your provider, then there is no way to that site
    > with the IP address since they haven't set up the routings for
    > it.

    , Jul 1, 2003
  10. Changling

    Guest

    ok, thanks for the clarification

    on 01 Jul 2003, "Andrew Butchart"
    <> wrote in

    > Nope - what happens is that each virtual host on the machine has
    > it's own root. Without the correct header information in your
    > request - specifically their domain name, you get tossed into a
    > different root which does not contain the file you are looking
    > for.
    >
    > The short answer is "it don't work that way" so unless you can
    > reconfigure the host to point to the correct root when the
    > request header has the IP address, you have to use the name.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Butchart
    >
    > http://www.abutchartconsulting.com/botdocs/ - ABC Bot -
    > Shareware SMTP/POP3 Mail Server
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    >> thanks for the additional information. if this is the case, as
    >> you say, i wonder why i am getting "file not found" when trying
    >> to guess the correct dir/file name for the login page. this
    >> leads me to suspect that it is just a matter of having the
    >> incorrect path; or they are handling the path request in a way
    >> i am unfamiliar with.
    >>
    >> on 30 Jun 2003, "Andrew Butchart"
    >> <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I know that IIS servers can host multiple domains on a single
    >> > machine and IP. The way they do this is to set up IIS to
    >> > examine the request and direct you to the correct pages based
    >> > on header information. What this means for you is that if
    >> > this is the case with your provider, then there is no way to
    >> > that site with the IP address since they haven't set up the
    >> > routings for it.

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    > World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers!
    > =-----