Using IP for webmail logins

Changling

How do I login to webmail accounts using an IP number, instead of
the url? IOW, how do I find the correct address/dir/files for the
login page?

I tried using the dns IP lookup number, but I get error messages.
The html code doesn't seem to name the directories/files for the
login page.

David Efflandt

How do I login to webmail accounts using an IP number, instead of
the url? IOW, how do I find the correct address/dir/files for the
login page?

I tried using the dns IP lookup number, but I get error messages.
The html code doesn't seem to name the directories/files for the
login page.

Insuffucient data. What webmail program? Do control the server, or just
trying to connect to it as a client (browser or script?)?

If the latter, maybe they use virtual hosts (multiple names for same IP),
in which case the HTTP request needs a proper Host: header, so the server
can tell which of multiple virtual hosts you want to access. If you are
using a script, it might also need to be capable of doing web
authentication, and/or handling cookies, and/or JavaScript.

For example if you tried to access my home computer by its IP or reverse
name (instead of one of its virtual hostnames), you would end up in my
default worm trap.

Hywel Jenkins

How do I login to webmail accounts using an IP number, instead of
the url? IOW, how do I find the correct address/dir/files for the
login page?

I tried using the dns IP lookup number, but I get error messages.
The html code doesn't seem to name the directories/files for the
login page.

For starters, you're asking in the wrong place. None of what you want
to do can be done with HTML. You don't specify what the "webmail
accounts" really are, nor do you hint at the technologies you have at
your disposal.

Changling

Sorry, I did not mean to be obtuse.
I just want to login as a client to a webmail page using their
IP, without needing to dns their domain name.
I think it's probably that i just don't have the correct file name
for their login page, but it could be they are aliasing their ip
in some way. This is related to html, cuz I think it's simply a
matter of not having the correct file name. For example if I try
to login to mail.foo.com using a dns server lookup, all goes ok.
If I do a reverse dns for mail.foo.com and then try to login to
their first server ip http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx, I then get an error
message. If I try http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx/mail/login.html, I get
file not found. Does this make more sense?

chamelyonman

Sheesh, I'm sorry I even asked. If you guys don't know, that's ok,
I'll ask in another group. ;-) I can only tell you it's not part
of any exploit attempt; I have other reasons for not using dns. I
think it's just that I don't have the correct login page file
name. I will ask the admins of the sites in question, but doubtful
they answer webmail user inquiries. Maybe this is too difficult a
question for you'all, and I should try alt.2600.

Sam

chamelyonman said:
they answer webmail user inquiries. Maybe this is too difficult a
question for you'all, and I should try alt.2600.

Don't be surprised if they call you a weenie also.

Except that by the time you read the 'weenie' remark, your box would
already be hacked and rooted.

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

I'll ask in another group. ;-) I can only tell you it's not part
of any exploit attempt;

Well, no, obviously not.
I have other reasons for not using dns.

What are they?
I think it's just that I don't have the correct login page file
name.

What does that mean?

Anyway, google for 'virtual hosting'.

Alternatively, I guess you could 'Turbo10' for 'virtual hosting' but the
first 5 hits are about someone called 'harry s trueman', so I guess the
verb is going to be 'google' for some time yet.

Andrew Butchart

I know that IIS servers can host multiple domains on a single machine and
IP. The way they do this is to set up IIS to examine the request and direct
you to the correct pages based on header information. What this means for
you is that if this is the case with your provider, then there is no way to
that site with the IP address since they haven't set up the routings for it.

nobody

thanks for the additional information. if this is the case, as you
say, i wonder why i am getting "file not found" when trying to
guess the correct dir/file name for the login page. this leads me
to suspect that it is just a matter of having the incorrect path;
or they are handling the path request in a way i am unfamiliar
with.

nobody

ok, thanks for the clarification

Nope - what happens is that each virtual host on the machine has
it's own root. Without the correct header information in your
request - specifically their domain name, you get tossed into a
different root which does not contain the file you are looking
for.

The short answer is "it don't work that way" so unless you can
reconfigure the host to point to the correct root when the
request header has the IP address, you have to use the name.

--
Andrew Butchart
(e-mail address removed)

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the