Using JAI to compare images

Arash Nikkar

Hi,

I am trying to write a short application which will take a
video...convert it to a series of images, and then compare the images
to detect motion. Now I know motion detection is not a trivial task,
but I am attempting the crude approach first.

I have figured out to to use JAI to convert the image to grayscale, but
I am not sure what I should use to compare the two PlanarImages. Should
I take the mean, the extrema? or maybe grab the histrogram of each and
use the entropy?

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

Roedy Green

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!
We had this problem with a security camera controlling program. nto
all cameras have motion detect hardware. There are C libraries for
this sort of thing. So we hooked them up.

Arash Nikkar

Hi Roedy,

I want to stay away from hardware dependency, because I also want to be
able to just input any video (inlcuding a whole video), and detect for
motion. so I want to try and figure out a way to compare frames.

Roedy Green

I want to stay away from hardware dependency, because I also want to be
able to just input any video (inlcuding a whole video), and detect for
motion. so I want to try and figure out a way to compare frames.

You are certainly to the first person to need this. I would spend
some time looking for reasonable ways to implement this. Some ways may
involve very sophisticated, pinpointing key spots in the image and
seeing where they go. A simpler solution is just to team your camera
up with a motion detector, that uses ultrasound, IR, sound detection
etc.

Pretty well anything you cook up on your own without mathematically
background is like to be both slow and inaccurate. You want to be
able to calibrate it for sensitivity. You don't want wind wiggling
leaves to trigger it.