Using Java POI in ruby?

Captain R

Does anyone have any idea how to use the Ruby bindings for the Java POI
project in ruby? The main page for the project is here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/poi-ruby.html. There seems to be some sort
of precompiled binary file available, but attempts to load it into ruby
lead to:

irb(main):002:0> require 'poi4r.so'
LoadError: libgcj.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory - ./poi4r.so

What exactly do I need to do to get this to work? Do I need to get some
other files as well? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks