Using Java Web Start to install a command line program

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jan Persson, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Jan Persson

    Jan Persson Guest

    Hi,

    Recently our management has decided that all our inhouse developed
    Java applications should be distributed with Java Web Start, but
    since our application is available both as GUI client and as a
    command line tool it looks like JWS is ill suited for this task.

    Both users and other applications relies on our command line interface
    being available, so it must be reachable regardless of the current
    working directory of the invoking process.

    From what I have found out by reading the documentation and FAQ of JWS,
    it looks like JWS can only copy files to the local application cache
    and not to an arbitrary path in the file system.

    If this is the case we must either do one of the following:

    1. Copy the startscript of the command line client (installed to the cache)
    into a directory which is pointed out by the PATH environment variable so
    it can be launched from cmd.exe and other processes.

    2. Or we must add the JWS cache directory to the path environment
    variable.

    Am I right in my assumptions?

    Kind Regards
    //Jan Persson
    Jan Persson, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Jan Persson

    Dale King Guest

    --
    Dale King
    "Jan Persson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Recently our management has decided that all our inhouse developed
    > Java applications should be distributed with Java Web Start, but
    > since our application is available both as GUI client and as a
    > command line tool it looks like JWS is ill suited for this task.
    >
    > Both users and other applications relies on our command line interface
    > being available, so it must be reachable regardless of the current
    > working directory of the invoking process.
    >
    > From what I have found out by reading the documentation and FAQ of JWS,
    > it looks like JWS can only copy files to the local application cache
    > and not to an arbitrary path in the file system.
    >
    > If this is the case we must either do one of the following:
    >
    > 1. Copy the startscript of the command line client (installed to the

    cache)
    > into a directory which is pointed out by the PATH environment variable so
    > it can be launched from cmd.exe and other processes.
    >
    > 2. Or we must add the JWS cache directory to the path environment
    > variable.
    >
    > Am I right in my assumptions?

    See:
    http://lopica.sourceforge.net/faq.html#batch
    Dale King, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Dale King wrote:
    >> Hi,

    G'Day Dale, just replying because
    I noticed your post had the '--'
    (usually put before sigs.), at the
    top of the post.

    AFAIU, this can cause some
    readers to trim everything
    below.

    When I went to reply, the '--'
    had itself disappeared..
    probably yet another MSC
    (MicroSoft CONSPIRACY*).

    * Sorry for yelling, but if I don't,
    ...people won't believe me. ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > G'Day Dale, just replying because
    > I noticed your post had the '--'
    > (usually put before sigs.), at the
    > top of the post.

    <nitpicking>
    The correct sig separator has to be '-- ' (note the extra space), not
    simply '--'. And yes, common Microsoft malware gets this wrong, because
    they use an editor component which removes any trailing whitespace :-(

    To fix this

    or better yet

    http://www.linux.org/ :)
    </nitpicking>

    /Thomas
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >> I noticed .. post had the '--'
    >> (usually put before sigs.), at the
    >> top of the post.

    > The correct sig separator has to be '-- ' (note the extra space), not
    > simply '--'.

    There ya' go. If I had been trying to
    debug a newsreader's formattting of
    presentation, that would have stuffed
    me up somewhat.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Jan Persson

    Dale King Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > Dale King wrote:
    > >> Hi,

    > G'Day Dale, just replying because
    > I noticed your post had the '--'
    > (usually put before sigs.), at the
    > top of the post.

    It was an accident. I am using Outlook Express (I know it sucks) and it
    seems to think top-posting is a good idea. It puts my sig at the top when I
    reply and I have to manually copy it to the bottom of the message. I've done
    it for so long it is automatic and I don't even have to think about it. I
    accidentally missed that one.
    --
    Dale King
    Dale King, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Dale King wrote:
    > "Andrew Thompson"

    >> I noticed your post had the '--'
    >> (usually put before sigs.), at the
    >> top of the post.

    > It was an accident. I am using Outlook Express (I know it sucks) and
    > it seems to think top-posting is a good idea. It puts my sig at the
    > top when I reply and I have to manually copy it to the bottom of the
    > message.

    ...Only because it is configured to do so.
    I switch off the 'auto signature' (IFAIUU)
    of OE and Alt|I|S when needed.

    Just a thought. :)

    --
    Andrew Thompson