    FamilyNet International Newsgate

    From: "Chris Uppal" <-THIS.org>

    wrote:

    > Hey, I'm working with a Java Native Interface from managed C++

    Boy! You're no fan of the simple life are you ?

    ;-)

    I haven't done /anything/ with "managed C++", so take the rest of this with due
    caution.

    For a start, I wouldn't mess with the declarations the SUN provide -- they are
    carefully designed to allow the JVM to access stuff at a lower level than
    "portable C" (or C++). I.e. it knows about memory layouts and other such
    stuff. So what I would do, as a first attempt, would be to write a bridge
    component -- entirely in /real/ C++ (compiled to a normal, not .NET, DLL).
    That component would do all the talking to JNI. I would then create a .NET
    interface to that DLL, using the unmanaged C++ features.

    A lot of work, and maybe not necessary, but I'd be rather surprised to find
    that anything less complicated actually worked.

    However, even that might not work. There is no guarantee that the Sun JVM and
    the .NET equivalent will be happy sharing an address space. They both use very
    low-level features of the OS (like setting guard pages, directly accessing the
    processor stack, and so on) and might easily end up stepping on each other's
    feet.

    -- chris

    FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
    http://www.familynet-international.org