    but I think each time the programm runs is needs root previlieges any
    idea of how to run a setuid programm with the help of java
    I am using Fedora Core 4 and i386 machine

    Unexplored Dimension, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Unexplored Dimension

    IchBin Guest

    Unexplored Dimension wrote:
    > Hi I am a new member to group
    >
    > can any one tell me how to use Jpcap library in Java I am supposed to
    > develop a sniffer that is written in Java
    > Java does
    > not goes below IP layer ( I am not sure for that )
    > is there some other way to talk to the ethernet card
    > in a linux machine using java
    > I want to write the programm so that a normai user can also use that
    > but I think each time the programm runs is needs root previlieges any
    > idea of how to run a setuid programm with the help of java
    > I am using Fedora Core 4 and i386 machine

    I have not looked at the code but Jpcap have samples for using:

    Tcpdump - Simple/limited implementation of tcpdump.
    ARP - Sample source code for implementing ARP.
    Traceroute - Simple implementation of Traceroute.
    SendTCP, SendUDP, SendICMP - Samples of how to send TCP/UDP/ICMP packet.

    http://netresearch.ics.uci.edu/kfujii/jpcap/doc/samples.html

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)