Using Jpcap

Unexplored Dimension

Hi I am a new member to group

can any one tell me how to use Jpcap library in Java I am supposed to
develop a sniffer that is written in Java
Java does
not goes below IP layer ( I am not sure for that )
is there some other way to talk to the ethernet card
in a linux machine using java
I want to write the programm so that a normai user can also use that
but I think each time the programm runs is needs root previlieges any
idea of how to run a setuid programm with the help of java
I am using Fedora Core 4 and i386 machine

IchBin

Unexplored said:
Hi I am a new member to group

can any one tell me how to use Jpcap library in Java I am supposed to
develop a sniffer that is written in Java
Java does
not goes below IP layer ( I am not sure for that )
is there some other way to talk to the ethernet card
in a linux machine using java
I want to write the programm so that a normai user can also use that
but I think each time the programm runs is needs root previlieges any
idea of how to run a setuid programm with the help of java
I am using Fedora Core 4 and i386 machine

I have not looked at the code but Jpcap have samples for using:

Tcpdump - Simple/limited implementation of tcpdump.
ARP - Sample source code for implementing ARP.
Traceroute - Simple implementation of Traceroute.
SendTCP, SendUDP, SendICMP - Samples of how to send TCP/UDP/ICMP packet.

http://netresearch.ics.uci.edu/kfujii/jpcap/doc/samples.html

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)