Using JRE on a CD

John Wallace

I would like to create an installation program on a CD that would run
on both Linux and Windows OS, and I think that java may be a solution.

My question is, now, is it possible to put the JREs for both OS on the
CD and to run my installation program accordingly. In other words, is
it possible to use the specific JRE directly on the CD, without having
to install anything on the client side (besides, of course, the stuff
I want to install).

Thank you.

John

Holger Doetsch

John said:
My question is, now, is it possible to put the JREs for both OS on the
CD and to run my installation program accordingly. In other words, is
it possible to use the specific JRE directly on the CD, without having
to install anything on the client side (besides, of course, the stuff
I want to install).

I'd say yes, this is possible. At least with the Windows version of the JRE.
You can just copy the folder of a JRE installation to CD and then run Java
off of that. I guess that should be possible with the Linux version too.
However, depending on where/how you distribute your CD, you may run into
licensing problems, i.e. i'm not sure if Sun's license allows you to do
this.

Holger

Roedy Green

I would like to create an installation program on a CD that would run
on both Linux and Windows OS, and I think that java may be a solution.

My question is, now, is it possible to put the JREs for both OS on the
CD and to run my installation program accordingly.

I have written about how to put a JWS application on CD that is self
installing. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html

I used a tiny C program to get the whole thing going.

You will either need a program that runs both on Windows and Linux or
separate programs that each will recognise as its own and autorun.

Once you get something running you can do some execs to install the
pieces or wake up Java Web Start.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/exec.html

You could also try an installer. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html

Ed Thompson

Holger said:
John Wallace wrote:

I'd say yes, this is possible. At least with the Windows version of the JRE.
You can just copy the folder of a JRE installation to CD and then run Java
off of that. I guess that should be possible with the Linux version too.
However, depending on where/how you distribute your CD, you may run into
licensing problems, i.e. i'm not sure if Sun's license allows you to do
this.

Holger
I have done this, but found it sloooow

Andrew Thompson

Compared with what? Surely installing from CD is as fast as you can
get if the user has no JVM.

No, I think Ed was specifically referring to
starts.