    I want to install).

    Thank you.

    John
    John Wallace, Jun 8, 2004

  2. John Wallace wrote:

    > My question is, now, is it possible to put the JREs for both OS on the
    > CD and to run my installation program accordingly. In other words, is
    > it possible to use the specific JRE directly on the CD, without having
    > to install anything on the client side (besides, of course, the stuff
    > I want to install).

    I'd say yes, this is possible. At least with the Windows version of the JRE.
    You can just copy the folder of a JRE installation to CD and then run Java
    off of that. I guess that should be possible with the Linux version too.
    However, depending on where/how you distribute your CD, you may run into
    licensing problems, i.e. i'm not sure if Sun's license allows you to do
    this.

    Holger
    Holger Doetsch, Jun 8, 2004

  3. John Wallace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 8 Jun 2004 05:23:10 -0700, (John
    Wallace) wrote or quoted :

    >I would like to create an installation program on a CD that would run
    >on both Linux and Windows OS, and I think that java may be a solution.
    >
    >My question is, now, is it possible to put the JREs for both OS on the
    >CD and to run my installation program accordingly.

    I have written about how to put a JWS application on CD that is self
    installing. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html

    I used a tiny C program to get the whole thing going.

    You will either need a program that runs both on Windows and Linux or
    separate programs that each will recognise as its own and autorun.

    Once you get something running you can do some execs to install the
    pieces or wake up Java Web Start.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/exec.html

    You could also try an installer. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jun 8, 2004
  4. John Wallace

    Ed Thompson Guest

    Holger Doetsch wrote:

    > John Wallace wrote:
    >

    >>My question is, now, is it possible to put the JREs for both OS on the
    >>CD and to run my installation program accordingly. In other words, is
    >>it possible to use the specific JRE directly on the CD, without having
    >>to install anything on the client side (besides, of course, the stuff
    >>I want to install).

    > I'd say yes, this is possible. At least with the Windows version of the JRE.
    > You can just copy the folder of a JRE installation to CD and then run Java
    > off of that. I guess that should be possible with the Linux version too.
    > However, depending on where/how you distribute your CD, you may run into
    > licensing problems, i.e. i'm not sure if Sun's license allows you to do
    > this.
    >

    > Holger

    I have done this, but found it sloooow
    Ed Thompson, Jun 9, 2004
  5. John Wallace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:57:37 GMT, Ed Thompson
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >> I'd say yes, this is possible. At least with the Windows version of the JRE.
    >> You can just copy the folder of a JRE installation to CD and then run Java
    >> off of that. I guess that should be possible with the Linux version too.
    >> However, depending on where/how you distribute your CD, you may run into
    >> licensing problems, i.e. i'm not sure if Sun's license allows you to do
    >> this.
    >>

    >> Holger

    >I have done this, but found it sloooow

    Compared with what? Surely installing from CD is as fast as you can
    get if the user has no JVM.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jun 9, 2004
  6. On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 05:32:54 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:57:37 GMT, Ed Thompson wrote or quoted :
    >
    >>> I'd say yes, this is possible. At least with the Windows version of the JRE.
    >>> You can just copy the folder of a JRE installation to CD and then run Java
    >>> off of that.

    >>I have done this, but found it sloooow

    > Compared with what? Surely installing from CD is as fast as you can
    > get if the user has no JVM.

    No, I think Ed was specifically referring to
    starts.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 9, 2004