Using JSTL SQL how to get value of PostgreSQL's type INET?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Hugh Mandeville, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    >From a JSP page (Tomcat 5.0.28), when I try to get the values of an

    INET column, it returns empty string. If I do the same select from
    psql, it shows the values.

    Is there something I have to do in JSP to get the inet value?

    I have a simple table in PostgreSQL 7.4.7 that contains a column named
    "ip_address" of type "INET".

    PostgreSQL Table

    Column | Typ | Modifiers

    -------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------------
    id | integer | not null default
    nextval('public.host_id_seq'::text)
    ip_address | inet |

    Results of Select in pgsql

    # select id, ip_address from host;
    id | ip_address
    ----+------------
    1 | 127.0.0.1
    2 | 127.0.0.1
    (2 rows)

    JSP Script

    <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/sql" prefix="sql" %>
    <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" prefix="c" %>

    <head>
    <title>Test JSTL, SQL and PostgreSQL's INET type.</title>
    </head>
    <sql:query var="rs" dataSource="jdbc/postgres">
    SELECT id, ip_address
    FROM host
    </sql:query>

    Row Count = ${rs.rowCount}<p>

    <c:forEach var="row" items="${rs.rows}">
    id = ${row.id}, ip_address = ${row.ip_address}<br>
    </c:forEach>

    JSP Output

    Row Count = 2
    id = 1, ip_address =
    id = 2, ip_address =

    I have no problem getting columns of other types, like character,
    integer, or timestamp. It is only with inet.
    Thanks -Hugh

    Hugh Mandeville, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Hugh  Mandeville

    shakah Guest

    Hugh Mandeville wrote:
    > Hi,
    > >From a JSP page (Tomcat 5.0.28), when I try to get the values of an

    > INET column, it returns empty string. If I do the same select from
    > psql, it shows the values.
    >
    > Is there something I have to do in JSP to get the inet value?
    >
    > [...(good) example snipped...]

    Can you get what you want if you cast the ip_address in the JSP query,
    e.g.:

    <sql:query var="rs" dataSource="jdbc/postgres">
    SELECT id, CAST(ip_address AS varchar)
    FROM host
    </sql:query>

    shakah, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Thanks for the help. Casting inet to varchar returns the IP address
    with a trailing '/32' (space) '127.0.0.1/32', so I added trim as well.

    <sql:query var="rs" dataSource="jdbc/postgres">
    SELECT id, TRIM(TRAILING '/32' FROM CAST (ip_address as varchar))
    AS ip_address
    FROM host
    </sql:query>

    Hugh Mandeville, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Hugh  Mandeville

    shakah Guest

    Hugh Mandeville wrote:
    > Thanks for the help. Casting inet to varchar returns the IP address
    > with a trailing '/32' (space) '127.0.0.1/32', so I added trim as well.
    >
    > <sql:query var="rs" dataSource="jdbc/postgres">
    > SELECT id, TRIM(TRAILING '/32' FROM CAST (ip_address as varchar))
    > AS ip_address
    > FROM host
    > </sql:query>

    Going a bit off-topic here, but I'm currently evaluating Postgres
    (8.0.3) on 64-bit Linux. Do you have any information/opinions/warnings
    re using Postgres?

    shakah, Jul 21, 2005