Using Media Player

Cogito

When I use the following code to play a radio station it works well
and the station plays as soon as the page loads.

But, I want the page loads without automatically playing and to let
the user starts the play by pressing the "Play" button.
However, when I change the parameter

<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" Value="true">
<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" Value="false">
it does not work.

What is the problem or what else needs to be done?

Here is the code:

alink="#990000" topmargin="0" marginheight="0" leftmargin="0"
marginwidth="0">

<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer"
classid="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95"

CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=6,4,7,1112"
width="153" height="53" style="background-color:000000"
standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
type="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="FileName"
VALUE="http://www.abc.net.au/streaming/newsradio.asx">
<PARAM NAME="TransparentAtStart" Value="true">
<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" Value="true">
<PARAM NAME="AnimationatStart" Value="false">
<PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" Value="true">
<PARAM NAME="ShowControls" Value="true">
<PARAM NAME="autoSize" Value="false">
<PARAM NAME="displaySize" Value="false">
<PARAM NAME="ShowAudioControls" Value="true">
<PARAM NAME="ShowPositionControls" Value="false">
<Embed type="application/x-mplayer2"

pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Downloads/Contents/Products/MediaPlayer/"src=""
Name="MediaPlayer"
width="153" height="53"
style="background-color:000000">
</embed>
</OBJECT>

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 09 Jul 2007 23:18:52
GMT Cogito scribed:
When I use the following code to play a radio station it works well
and the station plays as soon as the page loads.

But, I want the page loads without automatically playing and to let
the user starts the play by pressing the "Play" button.
However, when I change the parameter

<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" Value="true">
<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" Value="false">
it does not work.

What is the problem or what else needs to be done?

Here is the code:
<snip>

The probably is proprietary system operands and active-x in general.

cwdjrxyz

pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Downloads/Contents/Products/MediaPla..."src=""
Name="MediaPlayer"
width="153" height="53"
style="background-color:000000">
</embed>
</OBJECT>

This code uses an ActiveX object that is understood only by IE
browsers and close relatives. It has an embed path within it that is
invalid code, but that often is used and works for browsers that do
not support ActiveX, such as Firefox and Opera. If you change to not
autostart with the parameter in the main ActiveX path, this change
will be seen only by IE browsers. A change would have to be made in
the embed path, which apparently is defaulting to autostart, to defeat
autostart on non-IE browsers. The code appears to be several years
old. If you have both an IE and a Firefox or Opera browser, try
viewing with both.

cwdjrxyz

This code uses an ActiveX object that is understood only by IE
browsers and close relatives. It has an embed path within it that is
invalid code, but that often is used and works for browsers that do
not support ActiveX, such as Firefox and Opera. If you change to not
autostart with the parameter in the main ActiveX path, this change
will be seen only by IE browsers. A change would have to be made in
the embed path, which apparently is defaulting to autostart, to defeat
autostart on non-IE browsers. The code appears to be several years
old. If you have both an IE and a Firefox or Opera browser, try
viewing with both.

I have a working example at http://www.cwdjr.info/test/ng.php using
the radio station you selected. I had to use slightly different code
from usual since this a streaming asf file rather than a .wma file.
The player code you were using was designed for a WMP. If you do not
have a WMP, then the code will not work. Thus I have a text click link
just above where the player will be. What you get when you click it
depends on your computer setup. In many cases this link will allow
playing on players other than WMP that will support asf streaming
files. If you want the code in html 4.01 strict, view the source using
an IE browser. If you want the code in xhtml 1.1, view the code on a
recent Firefox or Opera browser. The page as written works, using
either the WMP that comes up or the text link, on IE6, and the most
recent versions of Firefox, Opera, and Safari 3 for a Windows XP or
above OS. It works using the most recent WMP 11 which can be
downloaded only to Windows XP or Vista OSs.

Cogito

[...]

Your example is spot on!!! It is just what I wanted. Thank you so
much.
And I spent hours playing around with the 'autoStart' parameter
without much success.
The second half of your code handles even Firefox. What can I say?
It's more than I bargained for.