    Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

    Cheers,
    Roman

    RoS, Oct 31, 2006

  2. RoS wrote:
    > I am building a Java project, which has to handle data files from the
    > previous version (which happen to be MFC

    Multi-Function Center? Which one?
    Or do you mean (shudder)
    ...Microsoft Foundation Classes?

    If the latter...

    >....serialized objects). Is there
    > a convenient way to use MFC serialized binary objects in Java?

    No.

    > ...I am
    > aware that MFC source code is available as part of the VC distribution,

    Is it? Which build? The 3810 is the last I know of,
    but not something I'd recommend for any end-user*.
    Maybe Sun should have widened their law suit.

    * Not that your app. necessarily requires distributing
    any MFC classes to end users**.

    > so in the worst case I will have to re-implement the serialization
    > business in Java.

    To convert them to a more sensible format (like XML)?
    ** Or are you looking at *distributing* the MFC classes
    needed to deserialise the data, from it's current form?

    >....But I am wondering if there is a ready-made Java
    > library for handling MFC serialized object. I looked into POIFS, but
    > from what I understood it is tailored for Word/Excel documents only.
    >
    > Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

    I'd find myself an old Win2K OS install disk.
    Whip it onto a spare box, and use the built in
    MSVM in IE to convert all the data to a format
    that is more portable.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 31, 2006

  3. RoS

    RoS Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > If the latter...

    Yep, the latter.

    > Is it? Which build? The 3810 is the last I know of,
    > but not something I'd recommend for any end-user*.
    > Maybe Sun should have widened their law suit.

    I haven't checked other versions, but MFC source code comes with the
    2005 version.

    > To convert them to a more sensible format (like XML)?
    > ** Or are you looking at *distributing* the MFC classes
    > needed to deserialise the data, from it's current form?

    It is the latter. I need a way to handle the data produced by the older
    version without any prior conversion. Except that I dont want to
    distribute any MFC classes (besides is there a way to call c libraries
    from Java?), but the whole thing should be implemented in Java without
    any external dependencies.

    I tried Apache's POI, but unfortunately it doesn't understand the MFC
    format.

    RoS, Nov 1, 2006