Using Microsoft Excel spreadsheet as a shortcut for HTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by NewsGuy, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. NewsGuy

    NewsGuy Guest

    Hello,

    In Microsoft Excel I was trying to paste some code to do a pop up window on
    about 500 lines in a web page.
    In microsoft excel I figured out I can join columns like this ----> =(A1 &
    B1& C1) ........
    That makes a new column (D) with the combined contents of three
    then copy and paste to note pad.
    It worked great with a few projects I did, than I tried to do the above
    mentioned popup window code...

    The problem is the code I'm using to do a popup window uses the ""quotaion
    marks, and microsoft excel doesn't like that.
    Has anyone tried something similar, I'm not sure if this is a comon aproach
    as I'm a newbie.

    Regards,
    John

    ****Column A in Excel*********
    <a target="_blank" href="http://www.
    <a target="_blank" href="http://www.
    <a target="_blank" href="http://www.
    etc.

    *****Column B in Excel*********
    website1.com
    website2.com
    website3.com
    etc.
    website500.com

    ****Column C in Excel**********
    ">Click Here</a><br>
    ">Click Here</a><br>
    ">Click Here</a><br>
    etc.

    So, in Column D I'm suposed to produce 500 lines that look like this,
    etc.
    but Excel doesn't allow the quotation marks needed in ""_blank"":
    NewsGuy, Apr 3, 2005

  2. NewsGuy

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "NewsGuy" <>
    writing in news:1pH3e.17317$:

    > Hello,
    >
    > In Microsoft Excel I was trying to paste some code to do a pop up
    > window on about 500 lines in a web page.
    > In microsoft excel I figured out I can join columns like this ---->
    > =(A1 & B1& C1) ........
    > That makes a new column (D) with the combined contents of three
    > then copy and paste to note pad.
    > It worked great with a few projects I did, than I tried to do the above
    > mentioned popup window code...
    >
    > The problem is the code I'm using to do a popup window uses the
    > ""quotaion marks, and microsoft excel doesn't like that.
    > Has anyone tried something similar, I'm not sure if this is a comon
    > aproach as I'm a newbie.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John
    >
    > ****Column A in Excel*********
    ><a target="_blank" href="http://www.
    ><a target="_blank" href="http://www. <a target="_blank"
    > href="http://www.
    > etc.
    >

    > *****Column B in Excel*********
    > website1.com
    > website2.com
    > website3.com
    > etc.
    > website500.com
    >

    > ****Column C in Excel**********
    > ">Click Here</a><br>
    > ">Click Here</a><br>
    > ">Click Here</a><br>
    > etc.
    >
    > So, in Column D I'm suposed to produce 500 lines that look like this,
    > target="_blank" href="http://www.website3.com">Click Here</a><br> etc.
    > but Excel doesn't allow the quotation marks needed in ""_blank"":

    Escape the quote marks, \" should do it.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Apr 3, 2005