Using MS Index Server to search french Accented characters

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rob, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    HI,
    I have a custom search engine for our website that uses MS Index Server
    and it works great but it doesn't find any results for searches that
    contain french accented characters.

    If I'm searching for "élément"...it doesn't find anything because the
    page uses html codes for accents and this word would be written like
    "élément" in my source code.
    My page uses charset utf-8 but the Index server uses 2 separate files
    (.htx and .idq files) and there doesn't seem to be any settings in there
    for this problem.

    Is there any way around this?

    Thanks
    Rob

    Rob, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Sorry, I forgot the browser would render this part. Im my last
    message...I wrote:

    If I'm searching for "élément"...it doesn't find anything because the
    page uses html codes for accents and this word would be written like
    "élément" in my source code.

    It should read:

    If I'm searching for "élément"...it doesn't find anything because the
    page uses html codes for accents and this word would be written like
    "(& e a c u t e ;)l( & e a c u t e ;)ment" in my source code. (remove
    brackets and spaces)

    Thanks
    Rob

    Rob, Aug 22, 2007

  3. "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > HI,
    > I have a custom search engine for our website that uses MS Index Server
    > and it works great but it doesn't find any results for searches that
    > contain french accented characters.
    >
    > If I'm searching for "élément"...it doesn't find anything because the
    > page uses html codes for accents and this word would be written like
    > "&eacute;l&eacute;ment" in my source code.
    > My page uses charset utf-8 but the Index server uses 2 separate files
    > (.htx and .idq files) and there doesn't seem to be any settings in there
    > for this problem.
    >
    > Is there any way around this?

    How about not using a mark up entity and just put the character required in
    the html?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 24, 2007
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I thought of that but there are hundreds of pages that would need to be
    changed. Also, the document developers here use dreamweaver and
    everytime they create a new document, it creates them automatically.

    Thanks

    Rob, Aug 27, 2007