Using MS Index Server to search french Accented characters

Rob

HI,
I have a custom search engine for our website that uses MS Index Server
and it works great but it doesn't find any results for searches that
contain french accented characters.

If I'm searching for "élément"...it doesn't find anything because the
page uses html codes for accents and this word would be written like
"élément" in my source code.
My page uses charset utf-8 but the Index server uses 2 separate files
(.htx and .idq files) and there doesn't seem to be any settings in there
for this problem.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks
Rob

Rob

Sorry, I forgot the browser would render this part. Im my last
message...I wrote:

If I'm searching for "élément"...it doesn't find anything because the
page uses html codes for accents and this word would be written like
"élément" in my source code.

It should read:

If I'm searching for "élément"...it doesn't find anything because the
page uses html codes for accents and this word would be written like
"(& e a c u t e ;)l( & e a c u t e ;)ment" in my source code. (remove
brackets and spaces)

Thanks
Rob

Anthony Jones

Rob said:
HI,
I have a custom search engine for our website that uses MS Index Server
and it works great but it doesn't find any results for searches that
contain french accented characters.

If I'm searching for "élément"...it doesn't find anything because the
page uses html codes for accents and this word would be written like
"élément" in my source code.
My page uses charset utf-8 but the Index server uses 2 separate files
(.htx and .idq files) and there doesn't seem to be any settings in there
for this problem.

Is there any way around this?

How about not using a mark up entity and just put the character required in
the html?

Rob

I thought of that but there are hundreds of pages that would need to be
changed. Also, the document developers here use dreamweaver and
everytime they create a new document, it creates them automatically.

Thanks