Using Netbean IDE for writing/compiling/debugging apps without using Project

bagarow

Hi

Is there a way to configure Netbean IDE such that it does not insist on
creating a Project everying time I want to use it to
write/compile/debug small Java apps I am writing to learn Java.

I find that default Netbean IDE behaviour to insist on a Project before
I can create a Java file for sample learning applications makes it very
complicated for me as a Java beginner.

Thanks
Bob

LukaszP

I tried to do it, but failed.
As far as i know, it can't be done without creating project.
Regards

Oliver Wong

Hi

Is there a way to configure Netbean IDE such that it does not insist on
creating a Project everying time I want to use it to
write/compile/debug small Java apps I am writing to learn Java.

I find that default Netbean IDE behaviour to insist on a Project before
I can create a Java file for sample learning applications makes it very
complicated for me as a Java beginner.

What I did was create a project called "test", and put all my 1 file
test programs in there.

- Oliver

Mitch

Hi

Is there a way to configure Netbean IDE such that it does not insist on
creating a Project everying time I want to use it to
write/compile/debug small Java apps I am writing to learn Java.

I find that default Netbean IDE behaviour to insist on a Project before
I can create a Java file for sample learning applications makes it very
complicated for me as a Java beginner.

Thanks
Bob

If I were you I would ditch netbeans for the first few (small) apps.
You end up learning the IDE, and not the Java. Textpad (Which is far
superior than notepad and as such worth the investment anyway) can
compile single Java files as well as numerous Java files, without the
need to create projects. Its great. www.textpad.com I'm guessing is
the link but google it otherwise. Oh it has a freeware version as well,
which simply reminds you its a freeware version every few times you run it.

IchBin

Mitch said:
If I were you I would ditch netbeans for the first few (small) apps. You
end up learning the IDE, and not the Java. Textpad (Which is far
superior than notepad and as such worth the investment anyway) can
compile single Java files as well as numerous Java files, without the
need to create projects. Its great. www.textpad.com I'm guessing is
the link but google it otherwise. Oh it has a freeware version as well,
which simply reminds you its a freeware version every few times you run it.

I second that opinion. I use Netbeans and Eclipse but have a small but
nice ide that is easy to use and no big learning curve for what you
want to do.. It's called GEL, http://www.gexperts.com.

I used two other small ide's for quick stuff. They come from the
academic environment. BlueJ is used to help you learn OOP Java coding.

JGRASP http://www.jgrasp.org
BlueJ http://www.bluej.org

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Oliver Wong

Mitch said:
Textpad (Which is far superior than notepad and as such worth the
investment anyway) can compile single Java files as well as numerous Java
files, without the need to create projects. Its great. www.textpad.com
I'm guessing is the link but google it otherwise. Oh it has a freeware
version as well, which simply reminds you its a freeware version every few
times you run it.

TextPad only works on Windows, and if we're thinking of the same
version, then that version is shareware rather than freeware. That is, you
can download and try it for free, but if you use it continuously, you're
expected to pay for it (which is why it nags you every few times).

An alternative is jEdit (http://www.jedit.org/) which is written in Java
and so works on all OSes which support Java, and it's open source (so it's
"really" free). The downside is that jEdit is a bit slower than TextPad, but
the plus side is it has a plugin system that allows you to add functionality
to it.

I've used both jEdit and TextPad and they're both very good.

- Oliver

Mitch

Oliver said:
Mitch said:
[...]
it has a freeware version as well, which simply reminds you its a
freeware version every few times you run it.

TextPad only works on Windows, and if we're thinking of the same
version, then that version is shareware rather than freeware. That is,
[...]

Sorry, just a typo. It is shareware, and Windows only.
An alternative is jEdit (http://www.jedit.org/) which is written in
Java and so works on all OSes which support Java, and it's open source
(so it's "really" free). The downside is that jEdit is a bit slower than
TextPad, but the plus side is it has a plugin system that allows you to
add functionality to it.

I've used both jEdit and TextPad and they're both very good.

- Oliver

Textpad also has a similar system,
http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/index.html just in case you were
interested. I've not used jEdit, so cant comment. I have used Textpad
for years, for free. I will however, as soon as someone starts paying
me a wage, pay for it. 'Cause I honestly think it's worth it.

Mitch.