Using netbeans as a Ruby IDE

Sharon Phillips

Up till now I've been using Scite on Windows and Smultron on OS X for
Ruby development. I've also been using Netbeans for about 12 months
for Java, but it looks like it may be time for a change as Netbeans
is now adding some pretty decent Ruby support.

Here's a short video showing some of the things that got me interested:
http://www.netbeans.org/download/flash/jruby_editing/jruby_editing.html

Only downside so far is that Netbeans is no lightweight. Scite,
though lacking a few things, has a brilliant startup time and as such
is very practical for quick scripts etc. Netbeans takes nearly a
minute to load on my work machine (old and under-specced) which is
fine for a project I'll spend the next few hours on, but not much fun
for a quick job.

How are other people finding Netbeans as a Ruby IDE?

Cheers,
Dave

John Joyce

Spring for TextMate, it's not free but it really is worth it.
Starts fast as can be.

Mark Watson

Spring for TextMate, it's not free but it really is worth it.
Starts fast as can be.

I agree, TextMate is worth the money. I am also finding the Ruby and
Rails support in IntelliJ to be very useful. I tend to use TextMate
for small Ruby projects and for a "background code browser" when
working with Common Lisp+Emacs on large systems. I like IntelliJ
better for Rails work.

I tried NetBeans+Ruby and it was not the joyful experience that
TextMate or IntelliJ provided, but I expect NetBean's Ruby support to
get better fast.

-Mark Watson, author and consultant
-www.markwatson.com for free web books