    How are other people finding Netbeans as a Ruby IDE?

    Cheers,
    Dave

    Sharon Phillips, Mar 14, 2007

  2. Sharon Phillips

    John Joyce Guest

    Spring for TextMate, it's not free but it really is worth it.
    Starts fast as can be.

    John Joyce, Mar 14, 2007

  3. Sharon Phillips

    Mark Watson Guest

    On Mar 13, 9:42 pm, John Joyce <>
    wrote:
    > Spring for TextMate, it's not free but it really is worth it.
    > Starts fast as can be.
    >
    > On Mar 14, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Sharon Phillips wrote:
    >
    > > Up till now I've been using Scite on Windows and Smultron on OS X
    > > for Ruby development. I've also been using Netbeans for about 12
    > > months for Java, but it looks like it may be time for a change as
    > > Netbeans is now adding some pretty decent Ruby support.

    > > Here's a short video showing some of the things that got me
    > > interested:
    > >http://www.netbeans.org/download/flash/jruby_editing/
    > > jruby_editing.html

    > > Only downside so far is that Netbeans is no lightweight. Scite,
    > > though lacking a few things, has a brilliant startup time and as
    > > such is very practical for quick scripts etc. Netbeans takes nearly
    > > a minute to load on my work machine (old and under-specced) which
    > > is fine for a project I'll spend the next few hours on, but not
    > > much fun for a quick job.

    > > How are other people finding Netbeans as a Ruby IDE?

    > > Cheers,
    > > Dave

    I agree, TextMate is worth the money. I am also finding the Ruby and
    Rails support in IntelliJ to be very useful. I tend to use TextMate
    for small Ruby projects and for a "background code browser" when
    working with Common Lisp+Emacs on large systems. I like IntelliJ
    better for Rails work.

    I tried NetBeans+Ruby and it was not the joyful experience that
    TextMate or IntelliJ provided, but I expect NetBean's Ruby support to
    get better fast.

    -Mark Watson, author and consultant
    -www.markwatson.com for free web books

    Mark Watson, Mar 14, 2007