Using NLTK in Java

hussainsaiger

I am trying to convert a python module (that contains the use of
NLTK.Corpus) by jythonc. It is not able to include nltk dependencies
within the java class it creates. So when i use this class in java, it
fails to recognize nltk. Can anyone please let me know how should i
use nltk in python/jython modules so i can use in Java.

Diez B. Roggisch

I am trying to convert a python module (that contains the use of
NLTK.Corpus) by jythonc. It is not able to include nltk dependencies
within the java class it creates. So when i use this class in java, it
fails to recognize nltk. Can anyone please let me know how should i
use nltk in python/jython modules so i can use in Java.

If there are any binary dependencies, you are out of luck. It won't
work. You would need to write a RPC-Server then, with technologies such
as XMLRPC or CORBA.

Diez

hussainsaiger

If there are any binary dependencies, you are out of luck. It won't
work. You would need to write a RPC-Server then, with technologies such
as XMLRPC or CORBA.

Diez

So does that mean that Jython does not support nltk uptil now. I ask
this because when I try to import nltk in Jython (which is assumed to
replace Python), i get the same error. Its just nltk that I am not
able to use. The rest of the jython functions and libraries work fine
within Java.

Diez B. Roggisch

So does that mean that Jython does not support nltk uptil now. I ask
this because when I try to import nltk in Jython (which is assumed to
replace Python), i get the same error. Its just nltk that I am not
able to use. The rest of the jython functions and libraries work fine
within Java.

I don't know for sure - how about you post the error-message? Otherwise we
can't assess the problem.

Diez

hussainsaiger

I don't know for sure - how about you post the error-message? Otherwise we
can't assess the problem.

Diez- Hide quoted text -

What i did was create a python file as:

import nltk
from java.util import Random

class NLPPresentation(Random):
def nextDouble(self):
return 1
def TagByBrown(self,sent):
"@sig public String[] TagByBrown(String sent)"
brown_a = nltk.corpus.brown.tagged_sents(categories='a')
bigram_tagger = nltk.BigramTagger(brown_a, cutoff=0)
lst = bigram_tagger.tag(sent.split())
return lst

I processed the following code through jythonc compiler to form a JAR
file. I then imported this jar
file into java ide (Java Builder). I then wrote the following program
in java to access this python class:

import org.python.core.PyException;
import org.python.core.PyInteger;
import org.python.core.PyObject;
import org.python.util.PythonInterpreter;
import java.util.Random;
import org.nltk.*;
import org.nltk.mallet.*;
public class SimpleEmbedded extends NLPPresentation{
public static void main(String[] args) throws PyException {
SimpleEmbedded so = new SimpleEmbedded();
String s = "he is a boy";
so.Call(s);
}
public void Call(String s)
{
String[] arr = TagByBrown(s);
System.out.println(arr[1]);

When i compile the above java code, i get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" Traceback (innermost last):
File "C:\jython2.2.1\NLPPresentation.py", line 0, in main
ImportError: no module named nltk

Your comments are highly appreciated.