Using outside SMTP servers. Doable?

darrel

I have a client that would like to enable some email notification within
their application. Normally, I'd just send an email thorugh their SMTP
server and be all set.

The catch here is that they are going to hose their web site in-house, but
want to keep using their ISP's email system.

Is it just a simple matter of pointing the emails to the SMTP server at
their ISP? I'm not a server admin, so I"m not sure what they might have to
do to allow mail to be sent from this web server. DO they just need to allow
SMTP requests originating from the domain/IP of the web server?

-Darrel

Plamen Ratchev

It should not be a problem. SMTP works the same way regardless if it is
local or remote. Two things to consider:

1. Check if their firewall allows communications on the SMTP port.
2. You might need to configure authenticated SMTP mail as most ISP providers
require that.

Regards,

Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com

sloan

I have 1.1 and 2.0 samples at:

spaces.msn.com/sholliday
then click "blog"

search for "smtp"

You will probably need to use an non IE browser. It crashes with IE because
of some August/06 service pack issue.

Darrel

It should not be a problem. SMTP works the same way regardless if it is
local or remote. Two things to consider:

1. Check if their firewall allows communications on the SMTP port.
2. You might need to configure authenticated SMTP mail as most ISP
providers require that.

Thanks, Plamen!

Also, a follow up, does it matter WHAT SMTP the ISP uses? Does it have to be
an exchange server, or can ASP.net communicate with any SMTP server?

-Darrel

Dhanraj K.S

No Matter whats the Make of the SMTP Server is, It will support all the SMTP
Servers.

Only thing is if you are using .NET 1.0 and if your SMTP Servers need
authentication you probably need to write a seperate class that
authenticates and sends email

Thanks
Dhanraj