Using Parameter-based Web Services

Duncan Sutherland

Assume a simple 3-tier distributed application: SQL back-
end, a web service (ws) running on IIS, and a Windows
Form client. Assume a simple ws that does a parameter-
driven query of the SQL database. I have been scouring
the various MSFT sites and can't find an answer to two
very basic questions:

1. I assume the ws method that extracts the data from the
SQL database needs to include the relevant parameter(s);
and

2. How is/are the parameter(s) passed to the ws method?

Microsoft sample code looks like this for a non-
parameterized situation:

Dim ws As New AuthorsWinClient.localhost.AuthorsService
....credentials stuff...
AuthorsData.Merge(ws.GetAuthors())

This works fine but I am not clear how to do this when
one or more parameters are involved?

Thanks for any guidance/assistance!