Using Parameters within SqlDataSource Object--Need Help~

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brad Isaacs, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Brad Isaacs

    Brad Isaacs Guest

    Good evening friends,

    I have added a Drop Down List box control to my web form.
    The table contains 3 fields :

    LanguageID
    ProvinceID
    Province

    I have also added a SqlDataSource object and configured it to retrieve
    Provinces based on my parameter named @languageID

    <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlProvince" runat="server"
    DataSourceID="ProvSqlDataSource"

    DataTextField="province" DataValueField="province" Width="196px">

    </asp:DropDownList></td>

    <asp:SqlDataSource ID="ProvSqlDataSource" runat="server"
    CacheExpirationPolicy="Sliding"

    ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:MyConnectionString %>"

    SelectCommand="SELECT DISTINCT [province] FROM [provinces] WHERE
    ([languageID] = @languageID ) ORDER BY [province]">

    </asp:SqlDataSource>

    If I dump the following:
    SelectCommand="SELECT DISTINCT [province] FROM [provinces] WHERE
    ([languageID] = '1') ORDER BY [province]">

    it works however, I need to find a way to gain access to the @LanguageID
    parameter.

    My problem is how I may gain access to the @languageID parameter. I feel
    kinda stoopid, as this may be an easy solution.

    It has to change either "1" for English and "2" for French,,,

    Depending on the language chosen for the web form page. So I use this code
    to retrieve the language chosen by the user.

    <%

    Dim languageSuffix, altlang, lang As String

    Dim langID As Int32

    lang = Request.QueryString("lang")

    If Request.QueryString("lang") = "" Then

    lang = "en"

    End If

    'Response.Write("<br />The Lang is--> " & lang)

    If (lang = "fr") Then

    langID = 2

    altlang = "fr"

    Else ' lang = "en"

    langID = 1

    altlang = "en"

    End If

    Response.Write(("<br />The LangID is--> " & langID))

    %>

    But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to gain access to the
    @languageID and add 1 if English or 2 if French.

    Any ideas, code examples or urls would be greatly appreciated,

    Thanks in advance

    ~Brad

    --
    Brad Isaacs