Using Performance Monitor for ASP apps

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by dw, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. dw

    dw Guest

    Hello, all. We've been having some issues with our web server, which has
    Win2K SP3, IIS 5, 2GB RAM, 2.4 GHz processor, and 130+ GB of storage
    available. The apps with problems hit our SQL Server 2K across the network.
    We've had occasions where we get Timeout Expired errors in some of our ASP
    apps, and non-ASP vendor apps on separate servers that hit the SQL Server
    get into the same problem of hourglassing and not coming back. When the
    admins reboot the SQL Server machine, it clears it up for awhile.

    What we're wondering is this: Is it the web server, the network, or the SQL
    Server that is creating this headache? During the times when we've had those
    issues, we've immediately started running the Performance Monitor to see if
    we can track the issue, with the following counters added:
    - Request Wait Time (ASP)
    - Requests Executing (ASP)
    - Requests Timed Out (ASP)
    - Pages/sec. (Memory)
    - % Processor Time

    We didn't see the above items spike during the times users were getting the
    Timeout Expired errors. How can we look at one individual ASP application to
    see if we can rule it out as the culprit? Also, how can we tell if this is
    caused by the network or the database server?

    Thanks.
    dw, Sep 16, 2004

  2. dw

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Sounds like a problem on the SQL Server system (may be caused by something
    on the ASP systems). Best bet would be to monitor SQL server to see what is
    going on when things freeze up. You might want to inquire on a SQL Server
    newsgroup about what to watch for.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development