using Perl5 MD5 module in Perl4?

Kenjis Kaan

Tivoli's version of Perl is still Perl4. I am looking for a way that
I can use Perl's modules as found on CPAN inside Perl4? In particular
I need to use the MD5 module to create unique session ids for a CGI
webapplication. Unfortunately the constrain is the need to use
Tivoli's perl which is till running on version 4. But I believe the
MD5 module on CPAN was compiled for Perl5. Hence the problems.

Any help, hints, pointers appreciated. TIA

Bart Lateur

Kenjis said:
Tivoli's version of Perl is still Perl4.

That sounds strange. Perhaps they have two versions of perl, one perl4
and one perl5? You should ask your ISP first.

Tad McClellan

Do their PeeCees still run Windows 3.1 too?

That sounds strange. Perhaps they have two versions of perl, one perl4
and one perl5? You should ask your ISP first.

Tivoli is not an ISP. It is an IBM.

You were off by 2 letters. :)

I heard somewhere over a year ago that they were moving to embedding
Perl 5 into their apps.

Guess that hasn't happened yet...

Richard Kofler

[ ... some line containing much too true content snipped ... ]
I heard somewhere over a year ago that they were moving to embedding
Perl 5 into their apps.

Guess that hasn't happened yet...
[ sigsnip ]

In fact we asked for this in late 1999 for the first time.
Since then the change request / feature request is pending....

For our Tivoli installations we since then have two
Perl versions in coexistance. It does not add too
much complexity, but allows us to use version 5.8
for site specific scripts.

To the OP: Look out for Tivoli Red Books. Maybe coexistant
versions of Perl versions is covered there.

Dic_k

Kenjis Kaan

Richard Kofler said:
[ ... some line containing much too true content snipped ... ]
I heard somewhere over a year ago that they were moving to embedding
Perl 5 into their apps.

Guess that hasn't happened yet...
[ sigsnip ]

In fact we asked for this in late 1999 for the first time.
Since then the change request / feature request is pending....

For our Tivoli installations we since then have two
Perl versions in coexistance. It does not add too
much complexity, but allows us to use version 5.8
for site specific scripts.

To the OP: Look out for Tivoli Red Books. Maybe coexistant
versions of Perl versions is covered there.

Dic_k

Where in the Tivoli distribution did you find perl 5.8? I checked the
TMR installation and all I find is perl4. Look here. Or did you
download perl 5.8 off Activestate or whatever and installed yourself
(that's different issue). I am referring to the perl that comes with
Tivoli.

C:\Tivoli>C:\Tivoli\bin\w32-ix86\tools\perl.exe -v

This is perl, version 4.0

perl for NT $$Revision: 4.0.1.8
Build 3
Patch level: 36

Copyright (c) 1989, 1990, 1991, Larry Wall
NT Copyright (c) 1993, Intergraph Corporation

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 4.0 source
kit.

C:\Tivoli>