Using Perl's Bits 'n Pieces ;-)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by RF, Sep 17, 2009.

  1. RF

    RF Guest

    Hi Experts,

    About 15 years ago I dabbled in Perl and I wrote a few simple programs
    but now I have to confess that I am lost.

    I have the following instructions for setting up a Perl prog.

    "INSTALLATION

    To install this module type the following:

    perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make test
    make install."

    All I have is 3 folders. The top one has about 30 files like About-NLS,
    config.guess, count.pl, install.sh, Makefile.in, Makefile.PL.in,
    Makefile-xx.in, po2perl.pl, Manifest.SKIP. etc.

    The middle subfolder has only two files: ProgName.sxw and groo.pl.

    The last subfolder has about 40 files like af.bmo, af.po, de.po,
    Makefile.in.in., POTFILES.in, re.po, Rules-quot, sv.po, etc.

    I believe some other module or .exe is needed to execute the above
    instructions and set up the program.

    Help appreciated.

    TIA
    RF, Sep 17, 2009

  2. RF

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>, RF <>
    wrote:

    > Hi Experts,
    >
    > About 15 years ago I dabbled in Perl and I wrote a few simple programs
    > but now I have to confess that I am lost.
    >
    > I have the following instructions for setting up a Perl prog.
    >
    > "INSTALLATION
    >
    > To install this module type the following:
    >
    > perl Makefile.PL
    > make
    > make test
    > make install."
    >
    > All I have is 3 folders. The top one has about 30 files like About-NLS,
    > config.guess, count.pl, install.sh, Makefile.in, Makefile.PL.in,
    > Makefile-xx.in, po2perl.pl, Manifest.SKIP. etc.
    >
    > The middle subfolder has only two files: ProgName.sxw and groo.pl.
    >
    > The last subfolder has about 40 files like af.bmo, af.po, de.po,
    > Makefile.in.in., POTFILES.in, re.po, Rules-quot, sv.po, etc.
    >
    > I believe some other module or .exe is needed to execute the above
    > instructions and set up the program.
    >
    > Help appreciated.

    The minimum executables you need are the perl interpreter and a make
    utility. Other executables may be required by the installation process,
    for example a C compiler if the Perl module contains any C code, but
    that depends upon the module. Pure Perl modules should only require
    perl and make.

    Have you tried the installation commands you listed? What happened?

    If you need more help, please post the details of your platform and any
    error messages you might be getting.

    Thanks and good luck.

    --
    Jim Gibson
    Jim Gibson, Sep 17, 2009

  3. RF

    RF Guest

    Ben Morrow wrote:
    > Quoth RF <>:
    >> Jim Gibson wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>> The minimum executables you need are the perl interpreter and a make
    >>> utility. Other executables may be required by the installation process,
    >>> for example a C compiler if the Perl module contains any C code, but
    >>> that depends upon the module. Pure Perl modules should only require
    >>> perl and make.
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried the installation commands you listed? What happened?
    >>>
    >>> If you need more help, please post the details of your platform and any
    >>> error messages you might be getting.

    > <snip>
    >> C. BUILD
    >>
    >> Go into the newly-created directory and type:
    >>
    >> perl Makefile.PL
    >>
    >> [The CMD Prompt I input was: C:\Perlprog>perl Makefile.PL
    >>
    >> and the answer was: "'perl' is not recognized as an in operable program
    >> or batch file." I guess another Perl module is required]

    > You either don't have perl installed, or it isn't in your PATH. You can
    > get perl for Win32 from http://strawberryperl.com/ . If you already have
    > perl installed, you will have to tell us which version, where you got it
    > from (ActiveState or Strawberry or somewhere else), and where it is
    > installed.

    Thank you Ben.

    There was NO Perl of any kind in my computer when I downloaded the
    roughly 70 files yesterday. I don't know what's built into that
    structure. I guess installing could do no harm. I am running Win2K SP4,
    so your juicy fruit would not work. Thanks again for your help.
    RF, Sep 17, 2009
  4. RF

    RF Guest

    RF wrote:
    > Ben Morrow wrote:
    >> Quoth RF <>:

    >> <snip>

    >> <snip>
    >>> C. BUILD
    >>>
    >>> Go into the newly-created directory and type:
    >>>
    >>> perl Makefile.PL
    >>>
    >>> [The CMD Prompt I input was: C:\Perlprog>perl Makefile.PL
    >>>
    >>> and the answer was: "'perl' is not recognized as an in operable
    >>> program or batch file." I guess another Perl module is required]

    >> You either don't have perl installed, or it isn't in your PATH. You can
    >> get perl for Win32 from http://strawberryperl.com/ . If you already have
    >> perl installed, you will have to tell us which version, where you got it
    >> from (ActiveState or Strawberry or somewhere else), and where it is
    >> installed.

    > Thank you Ben.
    >
    > There was NO Perl of any kind in my computer when I downloaded the
    > roughly 70 files yesterday. I don't know what's built into that
    > structure. I guess installing could do no harm. I am running Win2K SP4,
    > so your juicy fruit would not work. Thanks again for your help.

    I wrote too soon. On the page following your link there were other progs
    and for Win2K too :)
    RF, Sep 18, 2009
  5. RF

    RF Guest

    RF wrote:
    > Ben Morrow wrote:
    >> Quoth RF <>:

    >> <snip>

    >> <snip>
    >>> C. BUILD
    >>>
    >>> Go into the newly-created directory and type:
    >>>
    >>> perl Makefile.PL
    >>>
    >>> [The CMD Prompt I input was: C:\Perlprog>perl Makefile.PL
    >>>
    >>> and the answer was: "'perl' is not recognized as an in operable
    >>> program or batch file." I guess another Perl module is required]

    >> You either don't have perl installed, or it isn't in your PATH. You can
    >> get perl for Win32 from http://strawberryperl.com/ . If you already have
    >> perl installed, you will have to tell us which version, where you got it
    >> from (ActiveState or Strawberry or somewhere else), and where it is
    >> installed.

    > Thank you Ben.
    >
    > There was NO Perl of any kind in my computer when I downloaded the
    > roughly 70 files yesterday. I don't know what's built into that
    > structure. I guess installing could do no harm. I am running Win2K SP4,
    > so your juicy fruit would not work. Thanks again for your help.

    When I try to run the Perl prog, I receive:

    C:\Perlprog>perl makefile.pl
    Can't open perl script "makefile.pl": No such file or directory.

    Now that I have Strawberry installed, it gives me the same message as
    before the installation.

    I looked through all the Perl files and here is the list of the Makefiles:

    Top folder: Makefile.in, Makefile-xx.in, Makefile.PL.in
    Bottom folder: Makefile.in.in.

    There was no Makefile.PL.

    Back to the drawing board ;-)
    RF, Sep 18, 2009
  6. RF

    RF Guest

    Ben Morrow wrote:
    > Quoth RF <>:
    >> Ben Morrow wrote:
    >>> You either don't have perl installed, or it isn't in your PATH. You can
    >>> get perl for Win32 from http://strawberryperl.com/ . If you already have
    >>> perl installed, you will have to tell us which version, where you got it
    >>> from (ActiveState or Strawberry or somewhere else), and where it is
    >>> installed.

    >> There was NO Perl of any kind in my computer when I downloaded the
    >> roughly 70 files yesterday. I don't know what's built into that
    >> structure.

    > When you say 'that structure' you mean the package you originally
    > downloaded? I would be extremely surprised if it included a copy of
    > perl.
    >
    >> I guess installing could do no harm. I am running Win2K SP4,
    >> so your juicy fruit would not work. Thanks again for your help.

    > The latest Strawberry builds have dropped support for 2k, but older
    > releases are available from http://strawberryperl.com/releases.html . I
    > would recommend using the 5.8.9.1 release from that page.
    >
    > (Also, it's not a fruit so much as a flavour of icecream :).)
    >
    > Ben

    Hi again Ben,

    I was hung up for a few weeks and am now having another look at this
    problem. Thanks for the strawberryperl link. It installed ok but then I
    found other instructions indicating that ActivePerl version should be
    used. I had no problem installing it and, when I test it, it seems to work:

    C:\>perl -v

    Copyright 1987-2009, Larry Wall

    Binary build 1006 [291086] provided by ActiveState
    http://www.ActiveState.com
    Built Aug 24 2009 13:48:26

    This prog has a package manager ppm and the instructions for it were:

    C:> ppm
    ppm> install Lingua::GA::Gramadoir
    ppm> quit

    They worked and the last instruction given was:

    "You should now have the front-end script gram-ga.pl installed.
    Unfortunately, DOS isn't capable of displaying the ANSI control codes
    that are used to highlight the errors in color. Also, you need to tell
    An Gramadóir to display messages in the default DOS character encoding
    (ibm-850). Therefore, to check a language text file called gaeilge.txt,
    use the following:
    C:> gram-ga.pl --aschod=cp850 --dath=none gaeilge.txt"

    I set up the file and here is the response:

    "C:\> gram-ga.pl --aschod=cp850 --dath=none gaeilge.txt
    'gram-ga.pl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

    C:\>perl -v"

    Have you see this situation before?
    RF, Sep 25, 2009