Using PHP in a .Net environment?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Joshua Coady, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Joshua Coady

    Joshua Coady Guest

    Hello,

    I am working on a project that needs to use an opensource code library
    written in PHP and uses MySQL. I dont want to have to rewrite the entire
    thing in C#. Are there any options available?

    Things I have thought of but either havent found examples of or am not
    sure will work:

    - Have a server running the PHP code that has a webservice. Then I would
    just consume that service to use it in ASP.Net

    - Find some library that can run PHP and give my C# code access to it

    Thoughts, anyone?

    Thanks,

    Josh

    Joshua Coady, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Joshua Coady

    William Ryan Guest

    Josh:

    I can't speak to PHP, but for the last three weeks, we've been running a
    pretty large app on a MySQL backend.

    These may help...

    http://www.mysql.com/articles/dotnet/

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlnet/

    For what it's worth,getting stuff done web wise in .NET is a breeze. One of
    the cats in networking I work with is a died in the wool "Everything
    Microsoft Sucks" type. He worked on an inventory app for in-house tracking
    running on MySQL, using PHP and it took him just under a month to get it
    done. We were trying to use Infragistics to give the new one a nice UI, and
    once we got the connection working, the re-write, with a much more
    compelling front end took all of about 8 hours. The disparity probably
    isn't totally typical, but you can definitely do a lot with ASP.NET, and do
    it very quickly.

    Hope this helps.

    Bill

    William Ryan, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Joshua Coady

    Joshua Coady Guest

    That would help, except that I dont have to do anything specifically
    with MySQL. The PHP code does all the DB stuff. But thanks for the
    article link, it will be useful for another project.

    Josh

    In article <>, says...

    Joshua Coady, Sep 6, 2003
  4. Joshua Coady

    Joshua Coady Guest

    Call PHP from within C# (was: Using PHP in a .Net environment?)

    I'm not sure if I was clear enough. Let me rephrase: Is there an easy way to call a PHP method or script from within C#?

    Josh

    In article <>, says...

    Joshua Coady, Sep 7, 2003
  5. Joshua Coady

    Lloyd Dupont Guest

    Re: Call PHP from within C# (was: Using PHP in a .Net environment?)

    something like Process.Start("...") ?

    "Joshua Coady" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > I'm not sure if I was clear enough. Let me rephrase: Is there an easy way

    to call a PHP method or script from within C#?

    > Josh
    >
    > In article <>,

    says...

    Lloyd Dupont, Sep 7, 2003
  6. Joshua Coady

    Joshua Coady Guest

    Re: Call PHP from within C# (was: Using PHP in a .Net environment?)

    And use Process.StandardOutput to read the results? This has potential...

    In article <#>, net.galador@ld says...

    > I'm not sure if I was clear enough. Let me rephrase: Is there an easy way

    to call a PHP method or script from within C#?

    > Josh
    >
    > In article <>,

    says...

    Joshua Coady, Sep 7, 2003
  7. Joshua Coady

    Lloyd Dupont Guest

    Re: Call PHP from within C# (was: Using PHP in a .Net environment?)

    sure ;-)

    > I'm not sure if I was clear enough. Let me rephrase: Is there an easy way

    to call a PHP method or script from within C#?

    > Josh
    >
    > In article <>,

    says...

    Lloyd Dupont, Sep 7, 2003