Using PHP in a .Net environment?

Joshua Coady

Hello,

I am working on a project that needs to use an opensource code library
written in PHP and uses MySQL. I dont want to have to rewrite the entire
thing in C#. Are there any options available?

Things I have thought of but either havent found examples of or am not
sure will work:

- Have a server running the PHP code that has a webservice. Then I would
just consume that service to use it in ASP.Net

- Find some library that can run PHP and give my C# code access to it

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

Josh

William Ryan

Josh:

I can't speak to PHP, but for the last three weeks, we've been running a
pretty large app on a MySQL backend.

These may help...

http://www.mysql.com/articles/dotnet/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlnet/

For what it's worth,getting stuff done web wise in .NET is a breeze. One of
the cats in networking I work with is a died in the wool "Everything
Microsoft Sucks" type. He worked on an inventory app for in-house tracking
running on MySQL, using PHP and it took him just under a month to get it
done. We were trying to use Infragistics to give the new one a nice UI, and
once we got the connection working, the re-write, with a much more
compelling front end took all of about 8 hours. The disparity probably
isn't totally typical, but you can definitely do a lot with ASP.NET, and do
it very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Joshua Coady

That would help, except that I dont have to do anything specifically
with MySQL. The PHP code does all the DB stuff. But thanks for the
article link, it will be useful for another project.

[...]

I'm not sure if I was clear enough. Let me rephrase: Is there an easy way to call a PHP method or script from within C#?

Josh

Hello,

I am working on a project that needs to use an opensource code library
written in PHP and uses MySQL. I dont want to have to rewrite the entire
thing in C#. Are there any options available?

Things I have thought of but either havent found examples of or am not
sure will work:

- Have a server running the PHP code that has a webservice. Then I would
just consume that service to use it in ASP.Net

- Find some library that can run PHP and give my C# code access to it

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

Josh

Joshua Coady

And use Process.StandardOutput to read the results? This has potential...

something like Process.Start("...") ?

Joshua Coady said:
I'm not sure if I was clear enough. Let me rephrase: Is there an easy way
to call a PHP method or script from within C#?

Lloyd Dupont

sure ;-)