Using PHP to parse specific XML tag content?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Mechphisto, Dec 2, 2008.

  1. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    I'm trying to write a PHP script that will grab the info from an XML
    file, and parse and sort the data into their own variables.
    Can someone point me a direction for information?
    Here's what I have so far. The following script will grab ALL data in
    the file and simply make each one bold and separated by a break.
    I want to be able to dump the contents of message1 into say $data1 and
    message2 into $data2, etc.
    Does that make sense?
    Thanks for any assistance!
    -Liam

    <?php
    $file = "xml_test.xml";
    unset($xml_data);
    function contents($parser, $data){
    global $xml_data;
    $xml_data .= $data;
    return $xml_data;
    }
    function startTag($parser, $data){
    global $xml_data;
    $xml_data .= "<b>";
    return $xml_data;
    }
    function endTag($parser, $data){
    global $xml_data;
    $xml_data .= "</b><br />";
    return $xml_data;
    }
    $xml_parser = xml_parser_create();
    xml_set_element_handler($xml_parser, "startTag", "endTag");
    xml_set_character_data_handler($xml_parser, "contents");
    $fp = fopen($file, "r");
    $data = fread($fp, 80000);
    if(!(xml_parse($xml_parser, $data, feof($fp)))){
    die("Error on line " . xml_get_current_line_number($xml_parser));
    }
    xml_parser_free($xml_parser);
    fclose($fp);
    echo $xml_data;
    ?>

    xml_test.xml contains:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <text>
    <message1>Heres XML text.</message1>
    <message2>Heres some more XML text.</message2>
    </text>

    Mechphisto, Dec 2, 2008

  2. Mechphisto wrote:
    > I'm trying to write a PHP script that will grab the info from an XML
    > file, and parse and sort the data into their own variables.
    > Can someone point me a direction for information?
    > Here's what I have so far. The following script will grab ALL data in
    > the file and simply make each one bold and separated by a break.
    > I want to be able to dump the contents of message1 into say $data1 and
    > message2 into $data2, etc.
    > Does that make sense?

    Have you considered to use SimpleXml or DOM instead? Those APIs allow
    you to work with XML at a higher level than the xml_parser API.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Mechphisto escribió:
    > I'm trying to write a PHP script that will grab the info from an XML
    > file, and parse and sort the data into their own variables.
    > Can someone point me a direction for information?

    [...]
    > $xml_parser = xml_parser_create();
    > xml_set_element_handler($xml_parser, "startTag", "endTag");
    > xml_set_character_data_handler($xml_parser, "contents");

    I wrote an XML parser a few years ago and it's not something I'd like to
    repeat. While parsing you must keep track of where you are (inside a
    tag? which tag?) and you have to deal with stuff like "What if
    contents() doesn't return the whole contents because fread() stopped in
    the middle?". There're many tools nowadays that avoid you the boring
    internals.

    You can use any of the built-in libraries:

    http://es.php.net/manual/en/refs.xml.php

    Some people love SimpleXML. I've found XMLReader quite usable. There's
    even a user note with the code you want to write:

    http://es.php.net/manual/en/class.xmlreader.php#87288

    Or you can use third-party code. I specially enjoy phpQuery:

    http://code.google.com/p/phpquery/

    --
    -- http://alvaro.es - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
    -- Mi sitio sobre programación web: http://bits.demogracia.com

    Álvaro G. Vicario, Dec 2, 2008
  4. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 2, 9:14 am, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    [..snip all..]
    Based on the fact the above works, it's just not doing exactly what I
    want, I tried the following adjustments to the PHP.
    Logically, I don't see any reason why it's not working, but it's
    simply not displaying anything on the echo's.
    Any ideas?

    <?php
    $file = "xml_test.xml";
    function startTag($parser, $data){
    global $msg1;
    global $msg2;
    global $current;
    $current = $data;
    if ($current == "message1") {
    $msg1 .= "<b>";
    return $msg1;
    } elseif ($current == "message2") {
    $msg2 .= "<em>";
    return $msg2;
    function endTag($parser, $data){
    global $msg1;
    global $msg2;
    if ($data == "message1") {
    $msg1 .= "</b>";
    return $msg1;
    } elseif ($data == "message2") {
    $msg2 .= "</em>";
    return $msg2;
    function contents($parser, $data){
    global $msg1;
    global $msg2;
    global $current;
    if ($current == "message1") {
    $msg1 .= $data;
    return $msg1;
    } elseif ($current == "message2") {
    $msg2 .= $data;
    return $msg2;
    $xml_parser = xml_parser_create();
    xml_set_element_handler($xml_parser, "startTag", "endTag");
    xml_set_character_data_handler($xml_parser, "contents");
    $fp = fopen($file, "r");
    $data = fread($fp, 80000);
    if(!(xml_parse($xml_parser, $data, feof($fp)))){
    die("Error on line " . xml_get_current_line_number($xml_parser));
    }
    xml_parser_free($xml_parser);
    fclose($fp);

    echo $msg1;
    echo $msg2;
    ?>

    Mechphisto, Dec 2, 2008
  5. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 2, 10:01 am, "Álvaro G. Vicario"
    <> wrote:
    > Mechphisto escribió:
    >
    > > I'm trying to write a PHP script that will grab the info from an XML
    > > file, and parse and sort the data into their own variables.
    > > Can someone point me a direction for information?

    > [...]
    > > $xml_parser = xml_parser_create();
    > > xml_set_element_handler($xml_parser, "startTag", "endTag");
    > > xml_set_character_data_handler($xml_parser, "contents");

    > I wrote an XML parser a few years ago and it's not something I'd like to
    > repeat. While parsing you must keep track of where you are (inside a
    > tag? which tag?) and you have to deal with stuff like "What if
    > contents() doesn't return the whole contents because fread() stopped in
    > the middle?". There're many tools nowadays that avoid you the boring
    > internals.
    >
    > You can use any of the built-in libraries:
    >
    > http://es.php.net/manual/en/refs.xml.php
    >
    > Some people love SimpleXML. I've found XMLReader quite usable. There's
    > even a user note with the code you want to write:
    >
    > http://es.php.net/manual/en/class.xmlreader.php#87288
    >
    > Or you can use third-party code. I specially enjoy phpQuery:
    >
    > http://code.google.com/p/phpquery/

    Thanks, I appreciate the the reply and suggestions.
    That XMLReader does look like what I could use.

    Unfortunately, I'm on a shared server host and don't have control over
    what libraries can be installed into PHP. So, I'm kind of stuck with
    whatever solution is default built-in PHP5.

    Thanks, though. :)

    Mechphisto, Dec 2, 2008
  6. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 2, 10:07 am, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 9:14 am, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > [..snip all..]
    > Based on the fact the above works, it's just not doing exactly what I
    > want, I tried the following adjustments to the PHP.
    > Logically, I don't see any reason why it's not working, but it's
    > simply not displaying anything on the echo's.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > <?php
    > $file = "xml_test.xml";
    > function startTag($parser, $data){
    >         global $msg1;
    >         global $msg2;
    >         global $current;
    >         $current = $data;
    >         if ($current == "message1") {
    >                 $msg1 .= "<b>";
    >                 return $msg1;
    >         } elseif ($current == "message2") {
    >                 $msg2 .= "<em>";
    >                 return $msg2;
    >         }}
    >
    > function endTag($parser, $data){
    >         global $msg1;
    >         global $msg2;
    >         if ($data == "message1") {
    >                 $msg1 .= "</b>";
    >                 return $msg1;
    >         } elseif ($data == "message2") {
    >                 $msg2 .= "</em>";
    >                 return $msg2;
    >         }}
    >
    > function contents($parser, $data){
    >         global $msg1;
    >         global $msg2;
    >         global $current;
    >         if ($current == "message1") {
    >                 $msg1 .= $data;
    >                 return $msg1;
    >         } elseif ($current == "message2") {
    >                 $msg2 .= $data;
    >                 return $msg2;
    >         }}
    >
    > $xml_parser = xml_parser_create();
    > xml_set_element_handler($xml_parser, "startTag", "endTag");
    > xml_set_character_data_handler($xml_parser, "contents");
    > $fp = fopen($file, "r");
    > $data = fread($fp, 80000);
    > if(!(xml_parse($xml_parser, $data, feof($fp)))){
    >         die("Error on line " . xml_get_current_line_number($xml_parser));}
    >
    > xml_parser_free($xml_parser);
    > fclose($fp);
    >
    > echo $msg1;
    > echo $msg2;
    > ?>

    Oh holy sheesh!
    I saw somewhere something about the parser converting tags to
    uppercase, so I changed all the tags to uppercase in the PHP and in
    the XML file, and bammo! It all works fine now.
    Crazy, annoying... grrr.

    Mechphisto, Dec 2, 2008
  7. Mechphisto escribió:
    > On Dec 2, 9:14 am, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > [..snip all..]
    > Based on the fact the above works, it's just not doing exactly what I
    > want, I tried the following adjustments to the PHP.
    > Logically, I don't see any reason why it's not working, but it's
    > simply not displaying anything on the echo's.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > <?php
    > $file = "xml_test.xml";
    > function startTag($parser, $data){
    > global $msg1;
    > global $msg2;
    > global $current;
    > $current = $data;
    > if ($current == "message1") {

    Try:

    if ($current == "MESSAGE1") {

    Álvaro G. Vicario, Dec 2, 2008
  8. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 2, 10:52 am, "Álvaro G. Vicario"
    <> wrote:
    > Mechphisto escribió:
    >

    > > On Dec 2, 9:14 am, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > > [..snip all..]
    > > Based on the fact the above works, it's just not doing exactly what I
    > > want, I tried the following adjustments to the PHP.
    > > Logically, I don't see any reason why it's not working, but it's
    > > simply not displaying anything on the echo's.
    > > Any ideas?

    > > <?php
    > > $file = "xml_test.xml";
    > > function startTag($parser, $data){
    > >    global $msg1;
    > >    global $msg2;
    > >    global $current;
    > >    $current = $data;
    > >    if ($current == "message1") {

    > Try:
    >
    >         if ($current == "MESSAGE1") {

    Yep, that was the deal. It all has to be uppercase. :)
    Thanks for your time and assistance!

    Mechphisto, Dec 2, 2008
  9. Mechphisto

    Shahid Guest

    On Dec 2, 10:09 pm, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 10:52 am, "Álvaro G. Vicario"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > Mechphisto escribió:

    > > > On Dec 2, 9:14 am, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > > > [..snip all..]
    > > > Based on the fact the above works, it's just not doing exactly what I
    > > > want, I tried the following adjustments to the PHP.
    > > > Logically, I don't see any reason why it's not working, but it's
    > > > simply not displaying anything on the echo's.
    > > > Any ideas?

    > > > <?php
    > > > $file = "xml_test.xml";
    > > > function startTag($parser, $data){
    > > >    global $msg1;
    > > >    global $msg2;
    > > >    global $current;
    > > >    $current = $data;
    > > >    if ($current == "message1") {

    > > Try:

    > >         if ($current == "MESSAGE1") {

    > Yep, that was the deal. It all has to be uppercase. :)
    > Thanks for your time and assistance!

    Dear you can subscribe to www.phpclasses.org. I wanted to a similar
    kind of task but from HTML(4). You should visit this link and get a SAX
    (Simple API for XML) parser. I got a SAX parser named as saxy_parser
    classes from this website. So, visit it and there you can get lots of
    things of your interest.

    Shahid, Dec 3, 2008
  10. Mechphisto

    Ron Fox Guest

    Mechphisto wrote:

    > Oh holy sheesh!
    > I saw somewhere something about the parser converting tags to
    > uppercase, so I changed all the tags to uppercase in the PHP and in
    > the XML file, and bammo! It all works fine now.
    > Crazy, annoying... grrr.

    uh... that sounds so broken.. xml is case sensitive... is it possible
    the parser has a flag to run in html mode (where tags are not case
    sensitive), and that flag needs to be turned off to truly parse xml?

    Ah yes:

    see the xml_parser_set_option man page:
    http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.xml-parser-set-option.php

    Specifically the XML_OPTION_CASE_FOLDING

    and remember that http://us.php.net is your friend.

    --
    Ron Fox
    NSCL

    Ron Fox, Dec 3, 2008
  11. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 2, 9:30 am, Martin Honnen <> wrote:
    > Mechphisto wrote:
    > > I'm trying to write aPHPscript that will grab the info from an XML
    > > file, and parse and sort the data into their own variables.
    > > Can someone point me a direction for information?
    > > Here's what I have so far. The following script will grab ALL data in
    > > the file and simply make each one bold and separated by a break.
    > > I want to be able to dump the contents of message1 into say $data1 and
    > > message2 into $data2, etc.
    > > Does that make sense?

    > Have you considered to use SimpleXml or DOM instead? Those APIs allow
    > you to work with XML at a higher level than the xml_parser API.

    Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm on a shared server host and don't have

    Mechphisto, Dec 3, 2008
  12. On 3 Dec, 15:26, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 9:30 am, Martin Honnen <> wrote:
    >
    > > Mechphisto wrote:
    > > > I'm trying to write aPHPscript that will grab the info from an XML
    > > > file, and parse and sort the data into their own variables.
    > > > Can someone point me a direction for information?
    > > > Here's what I have so far. The following script will grab ALL data in
    > > > the file and simply make each one bold and separated by a break.
    > > > I want to be able to dump the contents of message1 into say $data1 and
    > > > message2 into $data2, etc.
    > > > Does that make sense?

    > > Have you considered to use SimpleXml or DOM instead? Those APIs allow
    > > you to work with XML at a higher level than the xml_parser API.

    > Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm on a shared server host and don't have
    > control over
    > what libraries can be installed into PHP. So, I'm kind of stuck with
    > whatever solution is default built-in PHP5.

    From the manual:
    Installation

    The SimpleXML extension is enabled by default.

    Captain Paralytic, Dec 3, 2008
  13. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 3, 10:18 am, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    > Ron Fox wrote:
    > > Mechphisto wrote:

    > >> Oh holy sheesh!
    > >> I saw somewhere something about the parser converting tags to
    > >> uppercase, so I changed all the tags to uppercase in thePHPand in
    > >> the XML file, and bammo! It all works fine now.
    > >> Crazy, annoying... grrr.

    > > uh... that sounds so broken.. xml is case sensitive... is it possible
    > > the parser has a flag to run in html mode (where tags are not case
    > > sensitive), and that flag needs to be turned off to truly parse xml?

    > > Ah yes:

    > > see the xml_parser_set_option man page:
    > >http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.xml-parser-set-option.php

    > > Specifically the XML_OPTION_CASE_FOLDING

    > > and remember thathttp://us.php.netis your friend.

    > Correction:  php.net is your bible!  :)  (....at least that is how I
    > referred to it when I recently taught my daughter how to program inPHP).

    Uh oh, you've given me a dangerous idea.... how old's your daughter?
    Mine's 9 and is already playing with making Power Point presentations
    and Excel spreadsheets.
    (Although, as I think of it, if I'm going to teach any language to the
    uninitiated, I'm thinking Python....)

    Mechphisto, Dec 4, 2008
  14. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 3, 9:32 am, Captain Paralytic <> wrote:
    > On 3 Dec, 15:26, Mechphisto <> wrote:

    > > > Have you considered to use SimpleXml or DOM instead? Those APIs allow
    > > > you to work with XML at a higher level than the xml_parser API.

    > > Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm on a shared server host and don't have
    > > control over
    > > what libraries can be installed intoPHP. So, I'm kind of stuck with
    > > whatever solution is default built-in PHP5.

    > From the manual:
    > Installation
    >
    > The SimpleXML extension is enabled by default.

    Actually, on my present Web site, phpinfo() doesn't have any entry for
    SimpleXML.
    However, on the new server we're moving to, the phpinfo() DOES have
    SimpleXML listed! So, I'll switch to that probably when we move
    servers.
    Thanks. :)

    Mechphisto, Dec 4, 2008
  15. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 3, 9:32 am, Captain Paralytic <> wrote:
    > On 3 Dec, 15:26, Mechphisto <> wrote:

    > > > Have you considered to use SimpleXml or DOM instead? Those APIs allow
    > > > you to work with XML at a higher level than the xml_parser API.

    > > Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm on a shared server host and don't have
    > > control over
    > > what libraries can be installed intoPHP. So, I'm kind of stuck with
    > > whatever solution is default built-in PHP5.

    > From the manual:
    > Installation
    >
    > The SimpleXML extension is enabled by default.

    Tried the SimpleXML method on the new server:
    Holy moly! It cut 58, yes 58, lines of code down to 6!!
    SimpleXML rocks!

    Mechphisto, Dec 4, 2008
  16. _Z_ wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have quite different approach. Since PHP is only the engine to
    > produce HTML from XML data, then all processing of XML I do with XSLT.
    > PHP is only a kind of manager (gets the name of XML file, sends
    > content-type, selects proper xsl file). Here is the code:

    Actually, PHP doesn't "produce HTML from XML data". You can parse XML
    data and generate output from it in PHP - but so can you in many languages.

    > <?php
    > header() ;
    > $xsl = "MyForm.xsl" ;
    > $command = "xsltproc " . $xsl . " " . $_GET[XML_File] ;
    > $last_line = system( $command ) ;
    > ?>
    >
    > Of course you have to have xsltproc installed, but I assume you have
    > it. This way enables you to test your XML --> HTML transformation in
    > testing environment. For example:
    > bash# xsltproc MyForm.xsl TestData.xml

    Even more basic that that - you have to have permission to execute
    commands, which many shared hosts do not allow. And you must, of
    course, be running on a Linux system.

    > That is the end of the story if you want only to display the data from
    > XML file.

    Only if you have those tools installed, and can stand the default format
    produced. That often isn't true. SimpleXML or the DOM functions give
    you much more control.

    > If not, and you want HTML to be a FORM to post the data back to the
    > server then you need to parse it in the PHP, but this part is easy
    > isn't it?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > - Marcin

    Yes, it can be quite easy.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

    ==================

    _Z_, Dec 4, 2008
  18. Mechphisto

    Pavel Lepin Guest

    Jerry Stuckle <> wrote in
    <gh9t0a$9lg$>:
    > _Z_ wrote:
    >> <?php
    >> header() ;
    >> $xsl = "MyForm.xsl" ;
    >> $command = "xsltproc " . $xsl . " " . $_GET[XML_File] ;
    >> $last_line = system( $command ) ;
    >> ?>
    >>
    >> Of course you have to have xsltproc installed, but I
    >> assume you have it. This way enables you to test your XML
    >> --> HTML transformation in testing environment. For
    >> example: bash# xsltproc MyForm.xsl TestData.xml

    > Even more basic that that - you have to have permission to
    > execute commands, which many shared hosts do not allow.

    The XSL extension (using the very same libxslt that xsltproc
    is a command-line front-end for) solves that problem
    neatly, of course, but that leads us back to some people
    being locked into the set of extensions their hosting
    provider deemed 'appropriate' for their needs. My advice
    would be changing the provider.

    > And you must, of course, be running on a Linux system.

    That's not true. At the very least, libxslt and xsltproc run
    just fine under Windows using Cygwin, and, unless I'm much
    mistaken, the open source *BSD family. I suspect there
    wouldn't be any problems running it on any reasonably sane
    proprietary UN*X as well. libxml2 and its evil twin libxslt
    seem to be among the most widely spread libs in the world.

    >> That is the end of the story if you want only to display
    >> the data from XML file.
    >>

    > Only if you have those tools installed, and can stand the
    > default format produced.

    Sorry, either that doesn't make sense or I'm missing your
    point completely. There's no 'default format' if we're
    talking about XSLT. It's a programming language designed
    specifically for document transformation, so the 'default
    format' is whatever you choose it to be.

    > That often isn't true. SimpleXML or the DOM
    > functions give you much more control.

    True, SimpleXML and DOM give a lot of control and are often
    the most reasonable choice for XML processing. But there's
    absolutely no point in not having XSLT in your toolbox. If
    you need transformations, it's often the most cheap,
    efficient and maintainable approach.

    --
    If we want the average quality of computer programs to rise
    by 1000%, all we have to do is carefully to select 90% of

    Pavel Lepin, Dec 5, 2008