using PIL for good screenshots

Tim Arnold

Hi,
I'm using PIL to enhance screenshots for print and online publication. I'm
writing to see if someone else is doing similar work. The shots are dialogs,
menus, etc. -- my workflow to create the print images:

(1) writer takes screenshot on Windows XP box (96dpi)
----------------------
*** Python Image Library ***
(2) convert to RGB
(3) resize to a writer-specified width using nearest neighbor*
(4) enhance with Sharpness enhancer, factor=2

I think these look pretty good, but if you have a different method or good
advice, I'd like to hear from you.
*nearest neighbor used for going up in size, antialias for going down in
size.

thanks,
--Tim Arnold

Tim Arnold

Tim,

Sounds like an interesting project.

Have you considered using SnagIt to produce your screenshots?www.TechSmith..com/SnagIt

Malcolm

Thanks for the interest on this, but I don't control what the writers
use to get the screenshot. They give me a 8-bit png screenshots
(sometimes 24-bit) captured at 96 dpi. The part I can control comes
after that--I need a workflow for getting the screenshot into print,
looking as good as possible.

thanks,
--Tim Arnold