using PIL for good screenshots

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Arnold, May 12, 2008.

  1. Tim Arnold

    Tim Arnold Guest

    Hi,
    I'm using PIL to enhance screenshots for print and online publication. I'm
    writing to see if someone else is doing similar work. The shots are dialogs,
    menus, etc. -- my workflow to create the print images:

    (1) writer takes screenshot on Windows XP box (96dpi)
    ----------------------
    *** Python Image Library ***
    (2) convert to RGB
    (3) resize to a writer-specified width using nearest neighbor*
    (4) enhance with Sharpness enhancer, factor=2

    I think these look pretty good, but if you have a different method or good
    advice, I'd like to hear from you.
    *nearest neighbor used for going up in size, antialias for going down in
    size.

    thanks,
    --Tim Arnold

    Tim Arnold, May 12, 2008

  2. Tim Arnold

    Guest

    Tim,

    Sounds like an interesting project.

    Have you considered using SnagIt to produce your screenshots?
    www.TechSmith.com/SnagIt

    Malcolm

    , May 13, 2008

  3. Tim Arnold

    Tim Arnold Guest

    On May 12, 8:11 pm, wrote:
    > Tim,
    >
    > Sounds like an interesting project.
    >
    > Have you considered using SnagIt to produce your screenshots?www.TechSmith..com/SnagIt
    >
    > Malcolm

    Thanks for the interest on this, but I don't control what the writers
    use to get the screenshot. They give me a 8-bit png screenshots
    (sometimes 24-bit) captured at 96 dpi. The part I can control comes
    after that--I need a workflow for getting the screenshot into print,
    looking as good as possible.

    thanks,
    --Tim Arnold

    Tim Arnold, May 13, 2008