    How does Perl identify which shell to use (sh, vs ksh vs csh, etc)
    for backticks in a here document?
    pg

    pgodfrin, Nov 21, 2008

  2. pgodfrin

    Tim Greer Guest

    pgodfrin wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > How does Perl identify which shell to use (sh, vs ksh vs csh, etc)
    > for backticks in a here document?
    > pg

    What environment settings is it running in?

    Tim Greer, Nov 22, 2008

  3. pgodfrin <> wrote:
    >How does Perl identify which shell to use (sh, vs ksh vs csh, etc)
    >for backticks in a here document?

    From 'perldoc perlop', section 'Quote and quote-like operators',
    subsection 'qx':

    qx/STRING/
    `STRING`
    A string which is (possibly) interpolated and then executed
    as a
    system command with "/bin/sh" or its equivalent. [...]

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Nov 22, 2008
  4. pgodfrin

    pgodfrin Guest

    On Nov 21, 6:03 pm, Tim Greer <> wrote:
    > pgodfrin wrote:
    > > Greetings,
    > > How does Perl  identify which shell to use (sh, vs ksh vs csh, etc)
    > > for backticks in a here document?
    > > pg

    > What environment settings is it running in?
    > --
    > Tim Greer, CEO/Founder/CTO, BurlyHost.com, Inc.
    > Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers
    > and Custom Hosting.  24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
    > Industry's most experienced staff! -- Web Hosting With Muscle!

    The default shell for my userid is ksh - but the backticks in the here
    document invoke sh ..
    pg

    pgodfrin, Nov 23, 2008